Particle tracing under AC + DC offset in electrochemical cell

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

Im fairly new to COMSOL and am having a few difficulties. I’m trying to do some AC dielectrophoresis simulations in electrolytic solution (with a DC offset). To setup the model, I first want to model the electrolyte distribution purely under the DC field, then use this to calculate the RMS voltage for the AC perturbation in a frequency domain study.

Ideally I want to calculate these separately, then apply dielectrophoresis (AC) and electrophoresis (DC) equations of motion individually to do some time dependant particle tracing.

Trouble is that I can’t seem to get the first part to work! I can calculate the DC component and ion distribution without issue, but if I try to feed the ion distribution into the frequency domain step for AC potentials I get either a) an error message or b) no electric field. Or if I run them as seperate studies (without the ion distribution in AC case), I cannot seem to combine the two solutions.

Alternatively, if I calculate the RMS AC+DC offset electric field distribution in frequency domain , I cant use the “transport of dilute species” module to calculate ion distribution.

So; are there issues with what I’m trying to do, and does anyone have suggestions?

0 Replies Last Post Feb 5, 2024, 8:36 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Leshy Patchett

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.