Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Plot surface with rms value of the electric field.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I performed a simulation of a three-phase cable in electrostatic module - time dependent. The results can plot a surface with the value of the electric field at each instant of time that I want. But I wonder if there is any way to plot a surface with the rms value of the electric field, rather than instantaneous values​​?

2 Replies Last Post Sep 4, 2012, 4:28 p.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 4, 2012, 4:06 p.m. EDT
Yes, you can plot independent variable as well as derived values.
I think you can go to "Results" first.
Because it's a surface plot, go to "2D plot"
Click it, and you can find a green plus sign in the "Expression"
click it, and you can find out how your results, for example Hx, Hy, Hz are stored.
Let's assume your Hx = mf.Hx etc.
Then you can manually type in:
sqrt(mf.Hx^2+mf.Hy^2+mf.Hz^2) in the "Expression" Blank

Finally, Click "Plot" on the top.
Yes, you can plot independent variable as well as derived values. I think you can go to "Results" first. Because it's a surface plot, go to "2D plot" Click it, and you can find a green plus sign in the "Expression" click it, and you can find out how your results, for example Hx, Hy, Hz are stored. Let's assume your Hx = mf.Hx etc. Then you can manually type in: sqrt(mf.Hx^2+mf.Hy^2+mf.Hz^2) in the "Expression" Blank Finally, Click "Plot" on the top.

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 4, 2012, 4:28 p.m. EDT
Dear Zhangxian,

You're confusing the RMS value with the module of the electric field.
This expression represents the magnitude of the electric field, which varies for each instant of time.
I need to get the RMS value of the electric field, this value does not vary with time, is the same for all moments.
The RMS value is the square root of the arithmetic average of the squared values ​​of the electric field at each instant of time.
Dear Zhangxian, You're confusing the RMS value with the module of the electric field. This expression represents the magnitude of the electric field, which varies for each instant of time. I need to get the RMS value of the electric field, this value does not vary with time, is the same for all moments. The RMS value is the square root of the arithmetic average of the squared values ​​of the electric field at each instant of time.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.