Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Conductive particles in an electric field

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have new modelling issue and I would like to hear from other Comsol users some suggestions how to solve it. Maybe someone have had similar problem.
I would like to model loose metallic particles (maybe dozens, maybe thousands of them) placed in external electric field. Particles will be rather immersed in some solid body and motionless. Then I would like to observe how these insertions interact with the field.
For now I have some ideas. One of them is to use 'Electric Shielding' node in 'Electric Currents' interface and apply it to very short boundaries (when compared to whole geometry) and treat them like metallic particles. But I don't know if this method will be efficient and reliable.
I guess the best and most useful tool would be 'Particle Tracing' module but I'm not sure if we have licence for this module (is it available in ver. 4.2?).
Another idea is to utilize 'Porous media and mixtures' from 'Electric Currents' interface but it gives some uniform conductivity in whole domain. Maybe 'Archie's Law' node could be adapted for my purposes?
Is there any possibility to apply property like conductivity to individual mesh node?
I would be gratefull for any advices in my issue.

With Regards,
Przemek

1 Reply Last Post Aug 21, 2012, 4:07 a.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 21, 2012, 4:07 a.m. EDT
I have access to Comsol 4.3 now. I've explored some abilities of 'Particle Tracing for AC/DC'. I must point out I've made just preliminary research on this module and I don't know its full functionality yet.
As far as I can see there is a possibility to release random number of particles in arbitrary domain. I can set force and particles velocity to 0 and make them fixed in the domain. But then I can't see any interaction between externally excited electric field and these particles.
In conclusion, I know the Particle Tracing Module is especially designed to model how electric field drive the particle motion. But maybe anyone has experience if this module is able to drive the electric field by particles placed in this field.
I would be grateful for any advice.
I have access to Comsol 4.3 now. I've explored some abilities of 'Particle Tracing for AC/DC'. I must point out I've made just preliminary research on this module and I don't know its full functionality yet. As far as I can see there is a possibility to release random number of particles in arbitrary domain. I can set force and particles velocity to 0 and make them fixed in the domain. But then I can't see any interaction between externally excited electric field and these particles. In conclusion, I know the Particle Tracing Module is especially designed to model how electric field drive the particle motion. But maybe anyone has experience if this module is able to drive the electric field by particles placed in this field. I would be grateful for any advice.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.