Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Contracting vessel

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I’m interested in performing a model of a contracting heart (or at least one ventricle). Is COMSOL capable of performing such a model where the vessel walls contract?
Thanks allot
Hemi

3 Replies Last Post Dec 20, 2011, 8:58 a.m. EST
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 6, 2011, 10:01 a.m. EST
Yes. You need to setup it up as a Fluid-Structure interaction model. You can model the contraction using initial strains.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Yes. You need to setup it up as a Fluid-Structure interaction model. You can model the contraction using initial strains. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 19, 2011, 5:23 a.m. EST
Thanks Nagi
If I'm correct, your intension was to perform a model for the contracting heart (using strains on elastic body which I will set it's parameters) and to couple the model to a flow model. In fact my case is allot more simple, I'm not interested in a two way coupling. The way the heart contracts is well established I'm more interested in the flow derived from the contraction. Is there a simple way to preset the deformation of my vessel (as a boundary condition) and to perform a model on the derived flow?
Thanks allot
Hemi
Thanks Nagi If I'm correct, your intension was to perform a model for the contracting heart (using strains on elastic body which I will set it's parameters) and to couple the model to a flow model. In fact my case is allot more simple, I'm not interested in a two way coupling. The way the heart contracts is well established I'm more interested in the flow derived from the contraction. Is there a simple way to preset the deformation of my vessel (as a boundary condition) and to perform a model on the derived flow? Thanks allot Hemi

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 20, 2011, 8:58 a.m. EST
Yes you can couple the fluid flow with moving mesh only (no structure) and use that to displace the fluid boundary.
Yes you can couple the fluid flow with moving mesh only (no structure) and use that to displace the fluid boundary.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.