Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

temperature

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I would like to calculate the temperature in a fluid (water), and there are two hot spots PT1 and PT2. However I can not define the value ??of temperatures for points (PT1 and PT2). I'm using Navier-Stokes and convection and conduction modes.

The Point Setting is inactive. How can I solve this problem?

1 Reply Last Post May 25, 2011, 1:50 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago May 25, 2011, 1:50 a.m. EDT
Hi

I believe you cannot define a fixed temperature on a "point", as a point has no area, and a fixed temperature means you need to extract or insert a certain thermal flux = W/m^2 over that undefined area.

Try to replace your two "points" by two small circles = boundaries in 2D, then it should work

A general rule in COMSOL: try to stick to Domain and Boundary BC only and do not use lower level entities (= Edges or Points in 3D, or Points in 2D) as these represent singularities.

Think it over:
in 3D for a given domain = volume, you have surface = boundaries that are unique (they may be split between at most 2 domains (hence the "up" and "down" normals depending on which side you are).

But still in 3D, an EDGE is shared by 2 or more boundaries. So a mesh node point on an Edge, how to define a dependent variable on that point ? is it the average value along the adjacent boundaries ? and the derivatives = gradients how do you define them ?.
For Point Entities it is even worse, no area => no flux ?

For these lower level Entities you must make too many hypothesis, so COMSOL states => it cannot decide for you.

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I believe you cannot define a fixed temperature on a "point", as a point has no area, and a fixed temperature means you need to extract or insert a certain thermal flux = W/m^2 over that undefined area. Try to replace your two "points" by two small circles = boundaries in 2D, then it should work A general rule in COMSOL: try to stick to Domain and Boundary BC only and do not use lower level entities (= Edges or Points in 3D, or Points in 2D) as these represent singularities. Think it over: in 3D for a given domain = volume, you have surface = boundaries that are unique (they may be split between at most 2 domains (hence the "up" and "down" normals depending on which side you are). But still in 3D, an EDGE is shared by 2 or more boundaries. So a mesh node point on an Edge, how to define a dependent variable on that point ? is it the average value along the adjacent boundaries ? and the derivatives = gradients how do you define them ?. For Point Entities it is even worse, no area => no flux ? For these lower level Entities you must make too many hypothesis, so COMSOL states => it cannot decide for you. -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.