Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

HV Coil Excitation and Multi turn coil modeling

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi ,

I am designing a HV (5kV ) multi turn coil. I have been through all the discussions about the multi turn coils. But it is not very clear to me. Let me explain my objective in brief.

1. To design a multi turn HV coil on an iron core submerged in a oil tank.

2. Excite it with voltage (not current )

3. Observe the electric field distribution and resistive heating in insulation on various frequencies.

i have designed the coil in 2D axis symmetry. My question is how to excite the coil with voltage?

I would appreciate if anyone can answer my question.

regards,

Muhammad

1 Reply Last Post Apr 25, 2011, 3:29 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 25, 2011, 3:29 a.m. EDT
Hi

if you have such a high power transformer, you might have drawn each coil (anyhow in 3.5 I do not believe you have the new v4 "multi-turn coil BC" that does everything for you, search the forum for other references, apart your specific heating issue).
If I remember right, in 3.5, you can only define a current as is, to apply a voltage you must define a new dependent variable Vcoil and get COMSOL to resolve it by adjusting the current an estimating the resistance. Then if you have several turns you need to define Vcoil_i one per "i" coil turn and add them up to get the total voltage, assuming a constant total current. Take car to resolve correctly the skin effect (perhaps not too critical if you are at 50/60 Hz).

It's a challenging but perfectly achievable task. The best is to start with some similar and simple "school-book" examples to get familiar with the set-up, and to validate the procedure, then to tackle your specific model.

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if you have such a high power transformer, you might have drawn each coil (anyhow in 3.5 I do not believe you have the new v4 "multi-turn coil BC" that does everything for you, search the forum for other references, apart your specific heating issue). If I remember right, in 3.5, you can only define a current as is, to apply a voltage you must define a new dependent variable Vcoil and get COMSOL to resolve it by adjusting the current an estimating the resistance. Then if you have several turns you need to define Vcoil_i one per "i" coil turn and add them up to get the total voltage, assuming a constant total current. Take car to resolve correctly the skin effect (perhaps not too critical if you are at 50/60 Hz). It's a challenging but perfectly achievable task. The best is to start with some similar and simple "school-book" examples to get familiar with the set-up, and to validate the procedure, then to tackle your specific model. -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.