Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

HOW TO MEASURE DISPLACEMENTS IN DEGREE IN STRUCTURAL MECHANICS MODEL

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I AM TRYING TO MEASURE DISPLACEMENT OF A MICROMIRROR IN DEGREE,I HAVE USED 3D-MEMS MODULE-STRUCTURAL MECH-SOLID STRESS STRAIN.

SO HOW TO MEASURE DISPLACEMENT IN DEGREE IN THE ABOVE SAID DOMAIN PLEASE HELP ME OUT

1 Reply Last Post Apr 25, 2011, 4:09 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 25, 2011, 4:09 a.m. EDT
Hi

indeed by default there is no angles in 3D solid. in V4 you can use the "Curl of displacement U", in other words, for small angles up to 2-3 degrees ( at most 5-8[deg], above you should use a quaternion approach to get correctly larger angles)

Thx = 0.5*(wy-vz)[rad] Rotation x (Antisymmetric displacement velocity tensor)
Thy = -0.5*(wx-uz)[rad] Rotation x (Antisymmetric displacement velocity tensor)
Thz = 0.5*(vx-uy)[rad] Rotation x (Antisymmetric displacement velocity tensor)

in V4 solid with spatial frame driven by the deformations, you must correct to:

Thx = 0.5*(wY-vZ)
Note the upper case X,Y,Z due to the spatial and material frame splitting and renaming

you can also write, in V4

Thx = 0.5*solid.curlUX

see example in the attached file, sorry I have only 4.1.0.185 today

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi indeed by default there is no angles in 3D solid. in V4 you can use the "Curl of displacement U", in other words, for small angles up to 2-3 degrees ( at most 5-8[deg], above you should use a quaternion approach to get correctly larger angles) Thx = 0.5*(wy-vz)[rad] Rotation x (Antisymmetric displacement velocity tensor) Thy = -0.5*(wx-uz)[rad] Rotation x (Antisymmetric displacement velocity tensor) Thz = 0.5*(vx-uy)[rad] Rotation x (Antisymmetric displacement velocity tensor) in V4 solid with spatial frame driven by the deformations, you must correct to: Thx = 0.5*(wY-vZ) ... Note the upper case X,Y,Z due to the spatial and material frame splitting and renaming you can also write, in V4 Thx = 0.5*solid.curlUX ... see example in the attached file, sorry I have only 4.1.0.185 today -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.