Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Current Time Step Variable

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear COMSOL users,

does anyone know the name of the variable where COMSOL saves the current time step, so it could be used in an expression? (If that was possible at all)

I looked through the manual and could not find anything.

Thanks for your help,
Franz

6 Replies Last Post Apr 21, 2011, 6:30 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 21, 2011, 1:04 p.m. EDT
Hi

during solver process it "t" for the time value, if you need to select a solution at a given time you have the "at()" operators, see the doc

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi during solver process it "t" for the time value, if you need to select a solution at a given time you have the "at()" operators, see the doc -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 21, 2011, 1:07 p.m. EDT
Hi Ivar,

thanks for your quick reply. Unfortunately, this is not what I meant: I need the actual current time step (so delta t) used in the solver.

Franz
Hi Ivar, thanks for your quick reply. Unfortunately, this is not what I meant: I need the actual current time step (so delta t) used in the solver. Franz

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 21, 2011, 1:33 p.m. EDT
Hi

missed that ;)
There are a few threads about this, and something has been added in the last released, check the release notes, but I haven't used it, so I cannot remember like that. (be sure you patch to latest update)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi missed that ;) There are a few threads about this, and something has been added in the last released, check the release notes, but I haven't used it, so I cannot remember like that. (be sure you patch to latest update) -- Good luck Ivar

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 21, 2011, 1:42 p.m. EDT
Hello Franz,
Perhaps we can go at this from a different angle. Why do you think you need to know what the time step is called? What are you planning to do with it?

I am asking this because I suspect that you may be trying to reimplement something that's already available in the software (like time derivatives for instance).
Hello Franz, Perhaps we can go at this from a different angle. Why do you think you need to know what the time step is called? What are you planning to do with it? I am asking this because I suspect that you may be trying to reimplement something that's already available in the software (like time derivatives for instance).

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 21, 2011, 1:55 p.m. EDT
In case you REALLY need the time step, see User's Guide, version 4.1, page 85.
In case you REALLY need the time step, see User's Guide, version 4.1, page 85.

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 21, 2011, 6:30 p.m. EDT
Thanks a lot for your responses! I will check that tomorrow morning.
Unfortunately, I would like to do something that is currently not yet available in COMSOL: Stabilization schemes in the PDE interface!
Thanks a lot for your responses! I will check that tomorrow morning. Unfortunately, I would like to do something that is currently not yet available in COMSOL: Stabilization schemes in the PDE interface!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.