Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Extrusion Coupling in 4.1

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am stuck on how to implement extrusion coupling variables in the post 3.5a versions.

The documentation (Multiphysics User's Guide) only demonstrates how to set up an extrusion, but I don't see how to actually create variables to use it.

Here's a very simple problem I'd like to start with:

I have a rectangular 2D domain. I have laminar flow (spf) and transport of diluted species (chds) for the physics. I have two species: A and B. I want an equilibrium surface reaction on the top and bottom boundaries of this domain such that K = C/(A*B) is always satisfied on the boundaries and C is a surface concentration that is immobile and only changes due to be at equilibrium (K =C/(A*B)) with the two species A and B at the boundary.

It seems to me like I need to create a 1-D geometry with the same length as the 2-D rectangle. Then, I want to couple these so that the concentrations of A and B from the 2D model on the boundaries define C in the 1-D domain, and the concentration of C in the 1-D domain define the concentrations of A and B along the top/bottom boundaries in the 2-D domain (defined by the equilibrium equation).

Please help if you can. Thanks!

4 Replies Last Post Apr 21, 2011, 3:48 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 21, 2011, 10:00 a.m. EDT
Hi

in V4 you create "operators" under the "Definitions" node, then you call the operator in a variable declaration or in an equation. i.e once defined the "linext1" operator you may use it as "linext1(u)" or with whatever variable that fits.

This applies also to the integration (coupling variables) operators

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi in V4 you create "operators" under the "Definitions" node, then you call the operator in a variable declaration or in an equation. i.e once defined the "linext1" operator you may use it as "linext1(u)" or with whatever variable that fits. This applies also to the integration (coupling variables) operators -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 21, 2011, 1:04 p.m. EDT
Hi,
You can also use weak form for the species reactions on boundaries of the reactor wall and then couple the outgoing product concentrations with the bulk flow of the reactor channel.
Mayur
Hi, You can also use weak form for the species reactions on boundaries of the reactor wall and then couple the outgoing product concentrations with the bulk flow of the reactor channel. Mayur

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 21, 2011, 2:25 p.m. EDT
Hi Mayur,

Your idea sounds promising, but I am not familiar with the weak form that you speak of. Could you provide some more information about what this is and how it is implemented in V4.1?

Thanks,
David
Hi Mayur, Your idea sounds promising, but I am not familiar with the weak form that you speak of. Could you provide some more information about what this is and how it is implemented in V4.1? Thanks, David

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 21, 2011, 3:48 p.m. EDT
Hi
Hi

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.