Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Use precedent results as initial condition

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I was wondering if there’s a way to call-back and use results issued from a precedent solving.
The main idea, is to set them as the new initials condition for a new solving.

Can we use ‘ study steps ‘ to achieve this ?
That sound like emulating Time-Dependent solving …

Regards,

3 Replies Last Post Dec 20, 2011, 11:34 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 18, 2011, 4:47 p.m. EDT
Hi

you can solve first a stationary case and then store the results and relaunch a transient or a eigenfrequency or... in v4.0 you must do this manually, in v4.1 you select the two solvers and COMSOL will generate the sequence for you. Check the settings in teh Dependent variable node of the solver tree, to select how initial values are used

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you can solve first a stationary case and then store the results and relaunch a transient or a eigenfrequency or... in v4.0 you must do this manually, in v4.1 you select the two solvers and COMSOL will generate the sequence for you. Check the settings in teh Dependent variable node of the solver tree, to select how initial values are used -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 19, 2011, 2:38 p.m. EST
Hi,

I'm having a similar problem.

I want to make a Modal Analysis for an optical waveguide. After solving, I want to make a parametric sweep using the global scale (M) as a parameter. So I want to reuse the previous result to use it as an approximation for the modes in the scaled waveguide.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks in advance.
Felipe.
Hi, I'm having a similar problem. I want to make a Modal Analysis for an optical waveguide. After solving, I want to make a parametric sweep using the global scale (M) as a parameter. So I want to reuse the previous result to use it as an approximation for the modes in the scaled waveguide. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks in advance. Felipe.

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 20, 2011, 11:34 a.m. EST
Self response:

The way to do this is using the Matlab LiveLink.

cheers,
Felipe.
Self response: The way to do this is using the Matlab LiveLink. cheers, Felipe.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.