Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

S-paramters calculation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I'm novice in COMSOL, so one can consider my question nonsensial. Anyway:

I'm studying frequency response of some structures at ir and optical wavelengths. I'm using scattering boundary conditions to simulate plane wave impinging on the structure. And what I need is to obtain transmission and absorbance coefficients.

I've tried to use Port BC to calculate S-parameters, but it is impossible using both not excited ports, while excitation of one of them leads to plane wave distortion. Is there any way how I can measure S-parameters with built-in features of COMSOL?

3 Replies Last Post Apr 21, 2011, 5:01 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 19, 2011, 9:01 a.m. EDT
Or may be, it is possible to somehow create an ideal plane wave using Port BC?

Thanks in advance.
Or may be, it is possible to somehow create an ideal plane wave using Port BC? Thanks in advance.

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 21, 2011, 3:32 a.m. EDT
Yes it should be possible by giving analytical expression of the mode at excited port. For plane waves, it will simply be a constant.
Yes it should be possible by giving analytical expression of the mode at excited port. For plane waves, it will simply be a constant.

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 21, 2011, 5:01 a.m. EDT
Yes, that's what I've done first. But using only port condition one cannot obtain ideal plane wave, because it will deform during propagation.
Yes, that's what I've done first. But using only port condition one cannot obtain ideal plane wave, because it will deform during propagation.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.