Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

magnetic materials (ferrite)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have noticed some materials with magnetic properties are defined using functions. For example Soft Iron (under AC/DC) has functions named HB, BH, and MUR
as shown here
img829.imageshack.us/img829/2379/materialsz.jpg

In Comsol 4.0+ we get an additional option for the Magnetic Constitutive relationship, that was absent in earlier versions, in order to define a complex permeability mur = u' + iu"
as shown here
img30.imageshack.us/img30/4083/c35amagneticsettings.png

Ferrite manufacturers usually do provide the Complex mur (permeability) vs. frequency.

In 4.0 I was able to define interpolation functions for these, (function name turns orange in second image above)

But my model would no longer solve. (Compared to defining mur as a constant)

So I went back to 3.5a, but now I am unsure how to apply the complex functions for mur.

Any thoughts? Thank you !

2 Replies Last Post Sep 14, 2011, 12:26 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Tyler

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 7, 2011, 6:54 p.m. EDT
Hi Tyler

I'm working with a friend on modeling an iron core of a transformer and we have the same problem. We want that the permeability and the conductivity of the material depends of frequency. Do you solve your problem and could you get a form for do it.

thank you for you atention

Rafael
Hi Tyler I'm working with a friend on modeling an iron core of a transformer and we have the same problem. We want that the permeability and the conductivity of the material depends of frequency. Do you solve your problem and could you get a form for do it. thank you for you atention Rafael

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 14, 2011, 12:26 p.m. EDT
Hi Rafael,

I think I was able to do this, but in Comsol 3.5a. Which version are you using?

I found the complex permeability information from the manufacturer, and I digitized the plot to get a list of data points. Comsol can implement these functions, after you define how to treat the extremities (smooth, piecewise, etc).

Then, I just combined the functions in the material property of permeability as mur = mu' + j * mu"
Hi Rafael, I think I was able to do this, but in Comsol 3.5a. Which version are you using? I found the complex permeability information from the manufacturer, and I digitized the plot to get a list of data points. Comsol can implement these functions, after you define how to treat the extremities (smooth, piecewise, etc). Then, I just combined the functions in the material property of permeability as mur = mu' + j * mu"

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.