Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Eddy length scale

Philippe Van Der Poel

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey all,
I was wondering if it's possible to apply the results from my turbulence model (k-ε) to calculate the different length scales of the generated eddies. The reason why I'm asking this is because I'm getting results that don't apply to the following rule:
L0> LEI > LDl
The value of LDl is always larger than my LEl.
Where:
L0= length scale of the largest eddy, k=turbulent kinetic energy, ε=dissipation rate, kinematic viscosity
LEl= demarcation line between energy (E) and inertial (I) ranges.
LDI = demarcation line between the dissipation (D) and inertial (I) ranges.

AND
n=(v^3/ε)^1/4;
L0= k^(3/2)/ε;
LEl=L0/6;
LDl=60*n

Are my assumptions correct or did I misunderstood something? Or is it because the k-ε model is not accurate in the region close to no-slip walls where k and ε exhibit large peaks.
Any help is much appreciated!

0 Replies Last Post Aug 12, 2017, 10:40 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Philippe Van Der Poel

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.