Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

3D generator in transient AC/DC

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I would like to make a transient model of an electric generator/motor in order to calculate motor properties and simulate eddy currents as well. I'm having problems with getting the moving mesh working, and implementing periodic conditions and weak constraints. (v4.0)

Does enyone have a simple example how to implement moving mesh in AC/DC ?

Thank you!

5 Replies Last Post May 24, 2011, 10:39 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 29, 2010, 8:46 a.m. EST
Hi

Unfortunately I do not have any example, and you are heading for a complex project there, so I can only advise do it in steps: add physics one by one after the rest is solving OK.

Then really get hands on a v4.1 and update it to latest patch levle, as there are several weaknesses in 4.0 that will make life tougher than necessarily for you

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Unfortunately I do not have any example, and you are heading for a complex project there, so I can only advise do it in steps: add physics one by one after the rest is solving OK. Then really get hands on a v4.1 and update it to latest patch levle, as there are several weaknesses in 4.0 that will make life tougher than necessarily for you -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 29, 2010, 9:38 a.m. EST
Thank you for your answer, it's good to know i'm not imagining problems.

Are there tutorials for rotating machinery in AC/DC module of 4.1?
Thank you for your answer, it's good to know i'm not imagining problems. Are there tutorials for rotating machinery in AC/DC module of 4.1?

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 29, 2010, 10:08 a.m. EST
Hi

havent found so far but I have not really been searching ;)
as there were in 3.5a, they will come in V4 too qustion of time.

Now, if you are used to 3.5a then by starting very simple you should be able to get there in V4 too (perhaps trying first to import a 3.5a model to see how COMSOl translates it and then rebuild a model in v4 from scratch using the translated one as example (i.e. ignore point constraints imported by COMSOL, I have noticed these are not needed, typical example of heritage property transmission)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi havent found so far but I have not really been searching ;) as there were in 3.5a, they will come in V4 too qustion of time. Now, if you are used to 3.5a then by starting very simple you should be able to get there in V4 too (perhaps trying first to import a 3.5a model to see how COMSOl translates it and then rebuild a model in v4 from scratch using the translated one as example (i.e. ignore point constraints imported by COMSOL, I have noticed these are not needed, typical example of heritage property transmission) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago May 24, 2011, 10:32 a.m. EDT
Hi,

As I know up to now Comsol can not solve 3D transient FEM for rotating machinery. This is actually weak point of Comsol, even Comsol 4.2. I hope I am wrong.

Good luck.

Hung.
Hi, As I know up to now Comsol can not solve 3D transient FEM for rotating machinery. This is actually weak point of Comsol, even Comsol 4.2. I hope I am wrong. Good luck. Hung.

Posted: 1 decade ago May 24, 2011, 10:39 a.m. EDT
Hi

have you tried to add a transient PDE to your problem, even if the ACDC does not solve for the transient, in many cases you can run the ACDC in stationary and run the solid in transient and still get a reasonnable solution, as the ACDC is mostly "instantenous " w.r.t the "slow" mechanics

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi have you tried to add a transient PDE to your problem, even if the ACDC does not solve for the transient, in many cases you can run the ACDC in stationary and run the solid in transient and still get a reasonnable solution, as the ACDC is mostly "instantenous " w.r.t the "slow" mechanics -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.