Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Eigenfrequency analysis of Piezo Solid

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, everyone.

I want to simulate QCM sensor to check electric field, eigenfrequency and etc.
Actually it is my first using COMSOL multiphysics.

Anyway, I drew one circle(r=12.7) in xy work plane(z=0), and extruded 300e-3 in z axis.
Then I drew two circles(r=6.35) in each xy plane(z=0, z=300e-3), and extruded to have 1e-3 thickness.
(The cicle in z=0 plane was extruded -1e-3 in z axis, and the other in z=300e-3 plane was extruded 1e-3 in z axis.)

Therefore, there are three cylinders.

I inputted Au at bottom and top cylinders (r=6.35, h=1e-3) in library material of subdomain settings and changed material model to decoupled, isotropic.
And I also inputted Quartz at middle cylinder (r=12.7, h=300e-3) in library materials of subdomain settings and remained piezoelectric.

Then I changed boundary settings.
First I changed electric BC of all boundaries to zero charge/symmetry.
Next, I changed electric BC of interfaces between Au and Quartz to electric potential(V0=1V)
(At this step, I chose two interior boundaries)

And I click the solve button.
But it didn't work correctly.

I thought I have to set ground
(Bottom surface of bottom cylinder(Au), Top surface of top cylinder(Au)
it means outside of cylinders.)
But in boundary settings, electric BC of these boundaries did not activated.

Is anyone handle it for me? Thank you for reading.

5 Replies Last Post Mar 26, 2012, 9:55 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 24, 2012, 4:36 p.m. EDT
Hello,

Can you tell us as to what errors did you get?

-Sankha
Hello, Can you tell us as to what errors did you get? -Sankha

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 26, 2012, 12:24 a.m. EDT
Actually I didn't get the errors message, but COMSOL did not work correctly.
Because I did practice some examples and got solutions.
In this problem, when I clicked the solve button, solve processing bar of window was stopped.
I waited for processing, but it did not work.

When you solved this model without error, plz let me know it....
I hope this model is correct or not to solve.
Because I have to decide to change my computer or not.
Thank you for concerning.

I'll attach my model asap.
Actually I didn't get the errors message, but COMSOL did not work correctly. Because I did practice some examples and got solutions. In this problem, when I clicked the solve button, solve processing bar of window was stopped. I waited for processing, but it did not work. When you solved this model without error, plz let me know it.... I hope this model is correct or not to solve. Because I have to decide to change my computer or not. Thank you for concerning. I'll attach my model asap.

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 26, 2012, 6:29 a.m. EDT

Hello,

Can you tell us as to what errors did you get?

-Sankha

Now I attatched my file.
A computer which is used now is not good performance, so I can't operate. (Just show me the out of memory error message.)
[QUOTE] Hello, Can you tell us as to what errors did you get? -Sankha [/QUOTE] Now I attatched my file. A computer which is used now is not good performance, so I can't operate. (Just show me the out of memory error message.)

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 26, 2012, 7:32 a.m. EDT
Hello Lee,

I am sorry to tell you that I am unable to open your model. I have Comsol 4.1 installed and your model has been built in Comsol 3.4. The software says that it can not open files built in versions older than 3.5. I should also mention that I am not an expert on Comsol, but I too am studying a piezoelectric device. I thought by discussion we would both be benefited.

Good luck

Sankha
Hello Lee, I am sorry to tell you that I am unable to open your model. I have Comsol 4.1 installed and your model has been built in Comsol 3.4. The software says that it can not open files built in versions older than 3.5. I should also mention that I am not an expert on Comsol, but I too am studying a piezoelectric device. I thought by discussion we would both be benefited. Good luck Sankha

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 26, 2012, 9:55 a.m. EDT
Oh I see....

Because I had not used COMSOL for a long time.
So I did not have latest version.
If you study about piezoelectric device, you'll make this model easier.

Would you follow above instructions, then solve it?
I think more boundary conditions are needed. But I'm not an expert but a beginner.

I'll seek a better computer to simulate COMSOL asap.
Then we discussed each other maybe.

Thank you for concerning.
Oh I see.... Because I had not used COMSOL for a long time. So I did not have latest version. If you study about piezoelectric device, you'll make this model easier. Would you follow above instructions, then solve it? I think more boundary conditions are needed. But I'm not an expert but a beginner. I'll seek a better computer to simulate COMSOL asap. Then we discussed each other maybe. Thank you for concerning.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.