Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

defining a piecewise function

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am currently attempting to use COMSOL to deal with the heat transfer associated with reentry on a body. I am attempting to curve fit heat flow influx data in MATLAB and then use it in COMSOL. The problem I am having is that I get a bad curve fit for the data because it changes so many orders of magnitude (no matter which function, including an exponential). I was really hoping to be able to define a piecewise function in COMSOL or in other words, be able to input different equations over different time ranges. I have tried using the piecewise function under global definitions so that I can use it wherever I want, but it says unknown variable. If I try to run it, it will fail with a jacobian error. I am using the default selections in the piecewise function section except changing the argument to t. I am new to COMSOL and having to teach myself to use the program so any suggestions anyone has would really be appreciated.
Thanks so much,
Zac

0 Replies Last Post Feb 22, 2011, 9:53 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Zac Cyree

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.