Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Experiment based modelling

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi.
I'm measuring surface topography using Atomic Force Microscopy. From the data I gather I can create an array of (x,y,z) points which represent the surface of interest. Is there anyway to put an array of points into COMSOL and then have it generate the surface they describe?
I could theoretically build up the surface by manually putting in points and joining them with lines, but it would take hours (if not days) and as I'm probably going to need to do this many times, I'd like to just generate a list of points and make COMSOL do the rest.
Thanks

3 Replies Last Post Jan 29, 2011, 10:41 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 4, 2010, 12:55 a.m. EDT
Hello

You can use a mapped surface (analytical or piecevise linearised function) to deform a gemoetry. It means meshing the surface and use the deformed function as displacement goal. There are a few threads explaining this on the forum. It is also teached in the Comsol meshing courses

try a search for deformed surface or surface roughness

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hello You can use a mapped surface (analytical or piecevise linearised function) to deform a gemoetry. It means meshing the surface and use the deformed function as displacement goal. There are a few threads explaining this on the forum. It is also teached in the Comsol meshing courses try a search for deformed surface or surface roughness -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 28, 2011, 3:09 p.m. EST
Hi: I've been going through the forms looking for information on how to make geometry with surface roughness. I haven't found a way to do it. The closest I've gotten is with the instructions in www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/4508/, but I can't make the mesh from the Deformed Geometry or the Moving Mesh (ALE). There is no 'refresh' nor 'build' button in those geometries.

I'm trying to model the electric field at the boundary of a nano-textured conductor. I'd like to use AFM images and/or computer generated structures. Can you pleas post a link to how this is done?

Thanks
Rodger
Hi: I've been going through the forms looking for information on how to make geometry with surface roughness. I haven't found a way to do it. The closest I've gotten is with the instructions in http://www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/4508/, but I can't make the mesh from the Deformed Geometry or the Moving Mesh (ALE). There is no 'refresh' nor 'build' button in those geometries. I'm trying to model the electric field at the boundary of a nano-textured conductor. I'd like to use AFM images and/or computer generated structures. Can you pleas post a link to how this is done? Thanks Rodger

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 29, 2011, 10:41 a.m. EST
Hi

OK if you have a "meshed" surface from some imager device then the issue is to translate this structure into a geometry Element onto which you might apply BC's and physics for COMSOL (as in COMSOL you do not apply physics, nor BC's tothe mesh directly, but onto the "higher level" geometrical "Entities". Then only you mesh your geoemtry and apply by "heritance" the properties and BC's onto the mesh elements and nodes (this is specific for COMSOL, and in my view one of it's strengths to allow us doing so easily multiphysics).

I know this is a "hot" topic for many. Unfortunately, I have no experience in this domain for COMSOL. there are a few third party software tools that might translate your 3D image (meshed) data into a COMNSOL compatible entity list, see the main web site, and/or ask your local COMSOL rep

I beleive your demand is somewhat simliar to:
www.comsol.eu/community/forums/general/message/reply/36244/
but the reply from ym side is the same ;) I do not know better, but try asking COMSOL support

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi OK if you have a "meshed" surface from some imager device then the issue is to translate this structure into a geometry Element onto which you might apply BC's and physics for COMSOL (as in COMSOL you do not apply physics, nor BC's tothe mesh directly, but onto the "higher level" geometrical "Entities". Then only you mesh your geoemtry and apply by "heritance" the properties and BC's onto the mesh elements and nodes (this is specific for COMSOL, and in my view one of it's strengths to allow us doing so easily multiphysics). I know this is a "hot" topic for many. Unfortunately, I have no experience in this domain for COMSOL. there are a few third party software tools that might translate your 3D image (meshed) data into a COMNSOL compatible entity list, see the main web site, and/or ask your local COMSOL rep I beleive your demand is somewhat simliar to: http://www.comsol.eu/community/forums/general/message/reply/36244/ but the reply from ym side is the same ;) I do not know better, but try asking COMSOL support -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.