Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Couple strain with ion concentration?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I've been modelling ion transport in a porous material using the chemical engineering module. I would like to also model an induced strain in the material that is linearly proportional to the local ion concentration (swelling/dilation, similar to a thermal expansion but dependant on concentration not temperature). How do I modify a standard Hooke's law stress-strain relationship to include this additional term? I also have access to the solid mechanics and MEMs application modules.

2 Replies Last Post Mar 31, 2014, 11:13 p.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 23, 2010, 4:02 p.m. EDT
Hi,

I did similar work with you. In my case, I put partial molar volume instead of coefficient of thermal expansion. And I used concentration value as temperature. You can check a paper 'Numerical Simulation of Intercalation-Induced Stress in Li-Ion Battery Electrode Particles' by Xiangchun Zhang.

Thanks
Hi, I did similar work with you. In my case, I put partial molar volume instead of coefficient of thermal expansion. And I used concentration value as temperature. You can check a paper 'Numerical Simulation of Intercalation-Induced Stress in Li-Ion Battery Electrode Particles' by Xiangchun Zhang. Thanks

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 31, 2014, 11:13 p.m. EDT
Hi C.Lim,
I am, working on same problem i.e. intercalation stress. I followed your suggestion like putting partial molar volume as expansion coefficient and concentration as temperature. However, my stress value is not exceeding yield point so as a result I am not getting any plastic strain. Can you help me to answer:

1- Did you use the "normalized concentration as temperature" i.e. the C/Cmax (value range 0 ~ 1 within material? OR you used actual concentration?

2- How about reference temperature? Did you use zero reference temperature?

3- Lastly, which mechanical boundary conditions did you use and any solver settings are needed?

Please help me.

regards,
Hina
Hi C.Lim, I am, working on same problem i.e. intercalation stress. I followed your suggestion like putting partial molar volume as expansion coefficient and concentration as temperature. However, my stress value is not exceeding yield point so as a result I am not getting any plastic strain. Can you help me to answer: 1- Did you use the "normalized concentration as temperature" i.e. the C/Cmax (value range 0 ~ 1 within material? OR you used actual concentration? 2- How about reference temperature? Did you use zero reference temperature? 3- Lastly, which mechanical boundary conditions did you use and any solver settings are needed? Please help me. regards, Hina

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.