Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Time-dependent heat flux as boundary condition

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello:

I am running a case where my boundary condition is heat flux, and it varies over time following a Gaussian curve over a day. I have tried my case setting a polynomial of 6th degree as the Boundary setting , calling it qvar and changing the equations to read it as input for q0_ht, in the heat transfer section of Multiphysics.

I am not getting reasonable results, no sure if COMSOL can not simulate time-dependent BC altough the literature says it can. The questions is how does this time-dependent heat flux should be entered in my case???

Is there a problem for running COMSOL for as long as 1 days (in seconds 1:3600:86400) in the solver? Can COMSOL do it or is there a method of running a series of transient cases. restarting from the previous one.

I mean , my first case at 00:00 hrs, the run it transient for 1 hours , and use this case results as input for the following hour, so that I have a total of 24 cases?

I really would appreciate your help since I have been reading papers and attempting different way of inputing this heat flux for a while. It is relatively easy to just input a single value but my boundary condition does actually change throughout the 24 hours.

I can send you mi case if you need it, actually I already contacted Support since Monday night and nobady has replied my message!!!

Thanks

Virginia

1 Reply Last Post Apr 23, 2011, 5:11 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Virginia Ruiz

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 23, 2011, 5:11 p.m. EDT
Has anyone come up with a solution for this i am also trying to do the same thing.
Has anyone come up with a solution for this i am also trying to do the same thing.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.