magnetoelectric coupling and non-converging solutions

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi! I'm modeling the coupling between a magnetostrictive and piezoelectric material attached one to each other however i'm facing some difficulties. The model consists of a spherical domain of air, a circular homogenized multiturn coil and a layered composite of magnetostrictive and piezoelectric material. Basically, i'm imposing a bias magnetic field with the coil excited by a current. However, the first problem that i am facing is that if i increase too much the current in the coil no convergence is achieved. I also tried to change the configuration of the coil (i.g. number of turns, length and radius) but the situation does not seem to get better. It seems that for high magnetic fields, no solution in the magnetic potential can be achieved.

The second issue that i'm facing is that, in order for the simulation to run, i have to apply two fixed edge constraint in the layered composite otherwise an error arises. So i was wondering whether or not there is a way to solve this without having to fix edges. The modules that i'm using are: solid mechanics (domain: magneto and piezo materials), magnetic field (domain: air, coil, magneto and piezo) and electrostatics (domain: piezo)

Thank you in advance!

1 Reply Last Post Apr 6, 2024, 3:58 p.m. EDT
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 3 weeks ago Apr 6, 2024, 3:58 p.m. EDT

Roberta,

regarding convergence at high magnetic fields you may want to check the BH curve you are using. Check for kinks that may compromise monotony. You can play with the different interpolation options. Also check the extrapolation setting. Constant extrapolation may affect convergence. The fixed edges are needed to suppress rigid body motions. There may be other options such as roller constraints and prescriped displacement BCs. That depends on your modeling requirements.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Roberta, regarding convergence at high magnetic fields you may want to check the BH curve you are using. Check for kinks that may compromise monotony. You can play with the different interpolation options. Also check the extrapolation setting. Constant extrapolation may affect convergence. The fixed edges are needed to suppress rigid body motions. There may be other options such as roller constraints and prescriped displacement BCs. That depends on your modeling requirements. Cheers Edgar

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.