Recalculate without re-meshing?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I'm sure there's a way to do this, and I've been searching, but cannot figure out the right keywords to figure it out.

I have a model for which I'm sweeping a few different geometric parameters, which makes the simulation quite long. I need to run this same set of sweeps twice, one with an applied voltage at one location, and the second with it at a different location.

Currently, I have this set up with a single component geometry and two separate physics setus. The physics setups are identical other than the placement of the applied voltage. Then I have three studies defined: a parametric sweep for each physics, and then a third study that just runs the other two sequentially.

In this setup, the same set of meshes are generated twice, once for each of the parametric sweeps. But this seems quite silly to do, since the meshes are the same. Is there a way to either save the meshes and re-use them in the second sweep, or just "update" the first sweep after it's done with the re-applied voltage, or maybe something else to cut down on the time? There must be a way to not need to recalculate all the meshes again (hopefully).

Thanks.

1 Reply Last Post Feb 28, 2024, 9:45 a.m. EST

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 2 months ago Feb 28, 2024, 9:45 a.m. EST
Updated: 2 months ago Feb 28, 2024, 9:45 a.m. EST

Update: the issue was a misunderstanding of "Study" and "Step". Each Study generates a mesh (or many meshes, if you add a parametric sweep), and then performs each Step on that mesh. Each Step may be assigned to a different Physics interface, which can have different boundary conditions. The resolution to my confusion was just to move the second Study into a second Step within the first Study - so one Study with two Steps (and a parametric sweep).

Update: the issue was a misunderstanding of "Study" and "Step". Each Study generates a mesh (or many meshes, if you add a parametric sweep), and then performs each Step on that mesh. Each Step may be assigned to a different Physics interface, which can have different boundary conditions. The resolution to my confusion was just to move the second Study into a second Step within the first Study - so one Study with two Steps (and a parametric sweep).

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.