Coulombic interactions

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello! There is a task: It is necessary to determine the coulomb force between two charged spheres. The potential one of the spheres is set at 30 kV I have tried a large number of calculations, but not one makes it impossible to calculate the coulomb force. Please tell me where and how I can make such a calculation.

1 Reply Last Post Feb 25, 2024, 12:21 p.m. EST
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 2 months ago Feb 25, 2024, 12:21 p.m. EST
Updated: 2 months ago Feb 25, 2024, 12:23 p.m. EST

I'd use a 2D axisymmetric formulation with the electrostatics (es) interface. You say "charged" spheres, but since you also specify a potential, I am going to assume you mean that the spheres are conducting. Also, bear in mind that this sort of calculation is essentially a textbook problem (well, depending on your textbook). Among others, see: Banerjee Shubho, Peters Thomas, Brown Nolan and Song Yi. 2021. "Exact closed-form and asymptotic expressions for the electrostatic force between two conducting spheres," Proc. R. Soc. A. 4772020086620200866. http://doi.org/10.1098/rspa.2020.0866

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
I'd use a 2D axisymmetric formulation with the electrostatics (es) interface. You say "charged" spheres, but since you also specify a potential, I am going to assume you mean that the spheres are conducting. Also, bear in mind that this sort of calculation is essentially a textbook problem (well, depending on your textbook). Among others, see: Banerjee Shubho, Peters Thomas, Brown Nolan and Song Yi. 2021. "Exact closed-form and asymptotic expressions for the electrostatic force between two conducting spheres," Proc. R. Soc. A. 4772020086620200866. http://doi.org/10.1098/rspa.2020.0866

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.