Wave optics: Interference between two waves at different wavelength

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, I am trying (if possible) to simulate the interference pattern between two waves at different wavelengths. I am using the Wave optics module. As sources for my waves, I am using the Port boundary condition. I am using periodic ports and I am easily able to create the interference patterns I want keeping the two exciting waves at the same wavelength. Is there a way to do the same, but with two different wavelengths? Thank you in advance, Giulia di Fazio

1 Reply Last Post Jan 17, 2024, 2:58 a.m. EST
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 3 months ago Jan 17, 2024, 2:58 a.m. EST

Hi Giulia,

two options come to my mind:

1. Do it in time domain. However, I don't have wave optics and I am not sure if time domain is available in the module. It would be possible in RF.

2. Run two frequency domain studies at both wavelengths and add the solutions. You will need to decide at what phases you add the solutions.

In either case you won't get a static interference pattern as you do with one frequency. The pattern will be time or phase dependent.

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Hi Giulia, two options come to my mind: 1. Do it in time domain. However, I don't have wave optics and I am not sure if time domain is available in the module. It would be possible in RF. 2. Run two frequency domain studies at both wavelengths and add the solutions. You will need to decide at what phases you add the solutions. In either case you won't get a static interference pattern as you do with one frequency. The pattern will be time or phase dependent. Cheers Edgar

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.