Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Comsol 4.2a Requirements

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear All,

I want to buy new computer with which I want to do simulations around 700 000 - 1000 000 number of degrees of freedom.

I of course thought about desktop PC, i7 processor, 24 GB work memory.

But I want to ask you about one notebook:

www.amazon.de/Acer-V3-771G-7361161-12TBDCaii-Display-Notebook-Nightfall/dp/B008AHVB08

So this notebook has i7 3610QM processor, 16GB RAM.

Please can anybody tell me what can I do with this notebook?

How much complicated simulations I can do with it (how many degrees of freedom) ?

Thanks for any help.

4 Replies Last Post Nov 21, 2012, 11:29 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 14, 2012, 1:33 a.m. EST
Hi

it's not only the amount of RAM but also the bus bandwidth, often the laptop have much slower RAM read/write speeds than a good desktop PC. So if you want PC "power" for the bucks, mostly a plain good OEM device is what is giving the best performances, but one need to be a bit a PC assembler to get it up running.

Now the advantages of a laptop is that you can travel to your customers and really impress them easily with a COMSOL simulation, live, but you need a good power cord to provide some energy to your laptop, else it will run out of batteries after a few simulations

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi it's not only the amount of RAM but also the bus bandwidth, often the laptop have much slower RAM read/write speeds than a good desktop PC. So if you want PC "power" for the bucks, mostly a plain good OEM device is what is giving the best performances, but one need to be a bit a PC assembler to get it up running. Now the advantages of a laptop is that you can travel to your customers and really impress them easily with a COMSOL simulation, live, but you need a good power cord to provide some energy to your laptop, else it will run out of batteries after a few simulations -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 14, 2012, 4:18 a.m. EST
Hi,

I am currently running an RF model with 1.700.000 DOF that requires about 50 GBytes RAM.

I think a notebook only makes sense if you need to work mobile. You will probably pay twice the money for the performance of a desktop.

Cheers
Edgar
Hi, I am currently running an RF model with 1.700.000 DOF that requires about 50 GBytes RAM. I think a notebook only makes sense if you need to work mobile. You will probably pay twice the money for the performance of a desktop. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 14, 2012, 10:19 a.m. EST
Thank you guys,

Now I have to make desicion ;-).

Cheers,

Samuel
Thank you guys, Now I have to make desicion ;-). Cheers, Samuel

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 21, 2012, 11:29 a.m. EST

Hi,

I am currently running an RF model with 1.700.000 DOF that requires about 50 GBytes RAM.

I think a notebook only makes sense if you need to work mobile. You will probably pay twice the money for the performance of a desktop.

Cheers
Edgar

Hello Edgar,

Would you be so kind to give me some informations. YOu said that you have 50Gb RAM . But can you tell me wich processor you use, XEON or i7 or something else? How many cores you have?

You also mantioned that you started simulation for 1 700 000 DOF. How much fast you can finish simulation for example 50 wavelengths?

Thanks for any help.
[QUOTE] Hi, I am currently running an RF model with 1.700.000 DOF that requires about 50 GBytes RAM. I think a notebook only makes sense if you need to work mobile. You will probably pay twice the money for the performance of a desktop. Cheers Edgar [/QUOTE] Hello Edgar, Would you be so kind to give me some informations. YOu said that you have 50Gb RAM . But can you tell me wich processor you use, XEON or i7 or something else? How many cores you have? You also mantioned that you started simulation for 1 700 000 DOF. How much fast you can finish simulation for example 50 wavelengths? Thanks for any help.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.