Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to simulate a spherical drop in 2D model?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am working on simulating the dynamics of a water droplet in comsol.

I cannot use 3D models because they take enormously large computational time, and thus I am left with using 2D model or the 2D axissymmetric model. Axissymetric model was fine when I had to capture the statics of the drop but now to study the drop in motion, this wont be useful(the drop moving away from axis breaks the axis symmetry).

Now, when i use 2D symmetry, I am consious of the fact that I am using a cylinder not a drop and thus this is not a drop. Can anyone tell me a way so that i can circumvent this problem ? Or is there a way to give some function in z direction(for altering the symmetry) so that I can model a sphere ?

1 Reply Last Post Oct 30, 2021, 11:43 a.m. EDT
Amin Kazemi Postdoctoral Researcher, University of Toronto

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 3 years ago Oct 30, 2021, 11:43 a.m. EDT

If the drop moves and the shape changes, then there is no axis of symmetry. You have to consider a full-3D simulation.

If the drop moves and the shape changes, then there is no axis of symmetry. You have to consider a full-3D simulation.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.