Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Determining the residence time of a massless particle in microfluidic channel

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all!

I have a question regarding determination of a residence time for a masless particle in microfluidic channel.

I have modeled steady fluid flow with 'Laminar Flow' physics in Comsol 4.2 through some channel geometry and now i would like to make an investigation on how long does a particle (masless or with really small dimensions) flow through the geometry. Thus measuring residence time for a particle.

Can anybody help me with this - maybe guide me to a tutorial on this subject?

Every help would be very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance and best regards,
Izidor

1 Reply Last Post May 22, 2012, 10:03 a.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago May 22, 2012, 10:03 a.m. EDT
Dear Cosmol experts,
I managed to execute the particle tracing, so one part of my work is done.

I'd like to ask you how could I compute/determine the particle residence time. I'm simulating a rectangular channel with different structures on the bottom, thus, some of the particles get trapped by the structures and need more time to flow through the whole channel geometry.

I'd like to determine a residence time for a particle which starts from a specific point in the inlet.

Could anybody help me how to solve this? Maybe indicate a way this could be done?

Thank you very much in advance!
Dear Cosmol experts, I managed to execute the particle tracing, so one part of my work is done. I'd like to ask you how could I compute/determine the particle residence time. I'm simulating a rectangular channel with different structures on the bottom, thus, some of the particles get trapped by the structures and need more time to flow through the whole channel geometry. I'd like to determine a residence time for a particle which starts from a specific point in the inlet. Could anybody help me how to solve this? Maybe indicate a way this could be done? Thank you very much in advance!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.