Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Trouble with Simple Point Charge Simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm trying to simulate a point charge with 1C of charge I want to look at the electric field value as I move away from the point charge. I know this is terribly simple but I can't get a solution from COMSOL.

Here's what I've done:

1. Started a new 3D file with Stationary Study

1. Constructed a 1 meter sphere and assigned it the material "air" (I also made sure to provide the missing value for relative permittivity for air)

2. Added a point at the center of the sphere (no material assigned to the point)

3. Added a Point Charge to the Electrostatics physics and selected/assigned the point I just added (and gave it a charge of 1C).

4. Then I run the study.

The simulation gets to the point of "Solving Linear Systems" but then hangs up there and finally fails. Error just says "Failed to find a solution"

Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong would be greatly appreciated?

- Duncan

1 Reply Last Post Feb 23, 2012, 4:45 p.m. EST

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 23, 2012, 4:45 p.m. EST
Try this: www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/25020/
Try this: http://www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/25020/

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.