Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Fail to insert point error and the "interpolation curve" when create geometry

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, everyone,

(all are in the .doc attachment. Thanks)

I have built a geometry using “rectangle” and a “interpolation curve” (which is new function in Geometry node of the new V 4.2a). The original source in the “interpolation curve” is a file (a series of x-y positions obtained from COMSOL using “export”), and then I import all the data into the software into a “Table”. The plotted interpolation curve with the name of “ic1” is illustrated in Fig.1.

The software COMSOL can automatically recognize the “interpolation curve”. As the Fig. 2 (in the material node) and Fig. 3 (in the physics node) shown. The original domain is divided into two domains at a first glance.

While when I solve it, the following error occurs (shown in Fig. 4):

Failed to insert point.
-x-coordinate: 47.7932
-y-coordinate: 4.97622
An invalid cavity was detected.
Error in multiphysics compilation.
-Feature: Compile Equations: Time Dependent(sol1/st1)
-Error: An invalid cavity was detected.

Firstly, I didn’t know its meaning. I searched the error in the forum with the help of finding the reason and solution. Then I look at the mesh node, the above-mentioned error are also shown in the mesh node (just shown in Fig. 4).

Could anyone mind checking and giving me some suggest and help?

Thanks sincerely in advance for your response.
Best wishes to you and your family.
Yours
FM Huang
Dec.27th.2011

1 Reply Last Post Dec 27, 2011, 4:42 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 27, 2011, 4:42 a.m. EST
Hi

it looks like your interpolation curve has not been closed correctly to form a solid. Have you checked in the geoemtry - Selection view that you have your objects correctly defined and that you get the desired Entities ? once outside of the geometry node (afer the finish - generate all) ?

But I suspect toothat you can generate such an ellipse by a few surface type "object" boolean operations too, within COMSOL

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi it looks like your interpolation curve has not been closed correctly to form a solid. Have you checked in the geoemtry - Selection view that you have your objects correctly defined and that you get the desired Entities ? once outside of the geometry node (afer the finish - generate all) ? But I suspect toothat you can generate such an ellipse by a few surface type "object" boolean operations too, within COMSOL -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.