Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modelling Gaussian pulse in RF module

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey all,

I am having a lot of trouble trying to create an electromagnetic source that follows a Gaussian pulse.

My first step after starting up the transient electromagnetic wave physics is to try to define a variable which holds the time description of the pulse:

v_pulse = v_0*exp(-(100-t[t])^2)

I think there is a problem with how I am using t. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

John

6 Replies Last Post Jun 6, 2011, 7:59 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 2, 2011, 3:09 p.m. EDT
Hi

but you have already a predefine Gaussian "pulse funtion" in v4 (check under the Definitions node), the only thing to remember is that the input variable for functions must be made "dimensionless", hence use "t[1/s]", instead of just "t"

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi but you have already a predefine Gaussian "pulse funtion" in v4 (check under the Definitions node), the only thing to remember is that the input variable for functions must be made "dimensionless", hence use "t[1/s]", instead of just "t" -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 2, 2011, 3:28 p.m. EDT
Thanks Ivar.

The setup with the built in function is a little different from what I want.

I am very new to the program and wondering, is it alright to model the pulse like this:

Under Variables:

name: gauss_pulse
expression: v_max*exp((-(100-t[1/s])^2)/100)
units: [V]

and then plug this into the electromagnetic wave; under Port 1
E_0 = gauss_pulse[1/m]

This is put into the y portion, and the x and z are left at 0.

Thanks for the help,

John
Thanks Ivar. The setup with the built in function is a little different from what I want. I am very new to the program and wondering, is it alright to model the pulse like this: Under Variables: name: gauss_pulse expression: v_max*exp((-(100-t[1/s])^2)/100) units: [V] and then plug this into the electromagnetic wave; under Port 1 E_0 = gauss_pulse[1/m] This is put into the y portion, and the x and z are left at 0. Thanks for the help, John

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 2, 2011, 4:52 p.m. EDT
I am wondering what the best way to model a simple gaussian pulse traveling through air and hitting water.

I am completely lost because whenever I try to do this in the transient electromagnetic module, the only option for port is LUMPED port. This is apparently only useful for metal interfaces. I also can't find the option for perfectly matched layers.

Online, all I can find are models and tutorials for constant sources in the steady state (such as joule heating through metal, etc). I am interested in the transient response to a short pulse, and am sure the solution is simple.

Any help is really, really appreciated.

-John

(I have attached my attempt in a module. I tried to label everything to make it as simple as possible).
I am wondering what the best way to model a simple gaussian pulse traveling through air and hitting water. I am completely lost because whenever I try to do this in the transient electromagnetic module, the only option for port is LUMPED port. This is apparently only useful for metal interfaces. I also can't find the option for perfectly matched layers. Online, all I can find are models and tutorials for constant sources in the steady state (such as joule heating through metal, etc). I am interested in the transient response to a short pulse, and am sure the solution is simple. Any help is really, really appreciated. -John (I have attached my attempt in a module. I tried to label everything to make it as simple as possible).

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 3, 2011, 6:41 a.m. EDT
I haven't worked with transient cases in version 4 but extensively tried in 3.5 series. But I suppose my knowledge of these simulations is not entirely outdated as there has been no mentioned updates to transient simulations in released notes of 4.x series.

The bad news for you is that Comsol does not have PMLs in transient simulations. The only source excitation and absorbing boundaries available are Scattering boundaries (that was until 3.5a). Now scattering boundaries, according to docs, are capable of absorbing plane wave reflections only. This really leaves the transient module extremely limited in application to realistic time domain simulations.
I haven't worked with transient cases in version 4 but extensively tried in 3.5 series. But I suppose my knowledge of these simulations is not entirely outdated as there has been no mentioned updates to transient simulations in released notes of 4.x series. The bad news for you is that Comsol does not have PMLs in transient simulations. The only source excitation and absorbing boundaries available are Scattering boundaries (that was until 3.5a). Now scattering boundaries, according to docs, are capable of absorbing plane wave reflections only. This really leaves the transient module extremely limited in application to realistic time domain simulations.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 3, 2011, 11:33 a.m. EDT
Thanks for the reply.

I will not worry about the PML for now.

All other things aside, I am just wondering how to create an electromagnetic wave with a gaussian profile and watch it propagate. Is this possible to do in COMSOL?

I am very lost but since this is the most basic part of my project I would really appreciate any help.

Thanks,

John
Thanks for the reply. I will not worry about the PML for now. All other things aside, I am just wondering how to create an electromagnetic wave with a gaussian profile and watch it propagate. Is this possible to do in COMSOL? I am very lost but since this is the most basic part of my project I would really appreciate any help. Thanks, John

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 6, 2011, 7:59 a.m. EDT
Well, I didn't try but why not? One little bit of round-about method is outlined in the following tutorial in 3.5a. You will have to guess how to export it to 4.x

www.comsol.com/showroom/gallery/956/
Well, I didn't try but why not? One little bit of round-about method is outlined in the following tutorial in 3.5a. You will have to guess how to export it to 4.x http://www.comsol.com/showroom/gallery/956/

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.