Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Simulating the stress in a square and rectangular Silicon Membrane

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I have an assignment under which I have to use Comsol Multiphysics to simulate the stress in a silicon membrane.

The question is as such:

Simulate the stress in a Si membrane deformed under a pressure P for a square and a
rectangular membrane. Compare.

I am doing a course in Micro Electro Mechanical Systems and am a Life Sciences student. I have tried doing it but I am absolutely stuck since I could not find an introductory tutorial to use any of the two for MEMS.

Could you direct me to a good tutorial? A good overview of the steps involved will also help!

2 Replies Last Post Jun 4, 2015, 2:02 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 24, 2011, 4:45 p.m. EDT
Hi

if you are talking about the deformation of a "solid" structure (even thin as a membrane) by some pressure load, then you can get around with only the "solid" or structural module, no need for the full MEMS applications.

the steps are as usual
1) define the 3D/2D/2d-axi mode most appropriate (fo square rectangles it probably more a 3D or eventually a 2D)
2) select "solid" physics
3) select stationary for pressure load (i.e. eigenfrequencies for modes, but then the pressure is ignored by default)
4) draw your geometry, either as a 2D in a workplane and extrude it, or as 3D block(s)
5) set up the material data (isotropic or crystalline anisotropic Si, my suggestion: start isotropic)
6) define the BC, fixed, the surfaces loaded ...
7) mesh (try a normal default mesh to start with, then perhaps a "finer" and compare)
8) solve (if you apply a large pressure, sometimes it's worth to ramp it up in 5-20 steps with a statioanry solver "continuation" sweep", then you need to define a Parameter i.e. Param with a range of the type range(0,0.1,1), and multiply your load Pressure by Param
9) postprocess (do not forget to add "Deformed" to the surface plot to see the deformation. Check the stress ...

It's the standard procedure as you see in most of the videos you find on the main COSMOL site

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if you are talking about the deformation of a "solid" structure (even thin as a membrane) by some pressure load, then you can get around with only the "solid" or structural module, no need for the full MEMS applications. the steps are as usual 1) define the 3D/2D/2d-axi mode most appropriate (fo square rectangles it probably more a 3D or eventually a 2D) 2) select "solid" physics 3) select stationary for pressure load (i.e. eigenfrequencies for modes, but then the pressure is ignored by default) 4) draw your geometry, either as a 2D in a workplane and extrude it, or as 3D block(s) 5) set up the material data (isotropic or crystalline anisotropic Si, my suggestion: start isotropic) 6) define the BC, fixed, the surfaces loaded ... 7) mesh (try a normal default mesh to start with, then perhaps a "finer" and compare) 8) solve (if you apply a large pressure, sometimes it's worth to ramp it up in 5-20 steps with a statioanry solver "continuation" sweep", then you need to define a Parameter i.e. Param with a range of the type range(0,0.1,1), and multiply your load Pressure by Param 9) postprocess (do not forget to add "Deformed" to the surface plot to see the deformation. Check the stress ... It's the standard procedure as you see in most of the videos you find on the main COSMOL site -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 9 years ago Jun 4, 2015, 2:02 p.m. EDT
Hi,
I'm have an assignment on simulation of MEMS membrane for microphone using Comsol Multiphysics.

I have to set a fixed value of stress to the square with edge clamped membrane.
After that, i need to analyse how the stress impact on the frequency and displacement,
but i still can figure out how to set a fixed or certain value of residual stress.

If anyone can give any tutorial, i will be very grateful.

Thanks
Hi, I'm have an assignment on simulation of MEMS membrane for microphone using Comsol Multiphysics. I have to set a fixed value of stress to the square with edge clamped membrane. After that, i need to analyse how the stress impact on the frequency and displacement, but i still can figure out how to set a fixed or certain value of residual stress. If anyone can give any tutorial, i will be very grateful. Thanks

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.