Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

[Solved] Cantilever beam, impuls load

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi.

I am new to Comsol and want to use it for my master thesis at University of Oslo. In my thesis I'm going to analyze the vibrations of a .22 caliber rifle barrel.

I'm now trying to learn the basics with a cantilever beam.

Cantilever:

Length: 5000 mm
E-modulus: 200 000 N/mm^2 (structural steel)
cross section: 100x100 mm
End load: 1000 N (point load, also used boundary load)

I've done a stationary analysis to solve for stress and displacement which are correct compared to my analytical solution. This gives me approx max disp.: 25 mm at end, and max tensor stress: 30 N/mm^2.

I'm now trying to do a time dependent analysis of my cantilever where I want the load to be an impulse load. My problem is that I don't know how to use my defined function to describe the impulse of my load. I understand how to make a function, but I don't understand how my model can use my function to analyze my problem.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Fredrik

1 Reply Last Post Mar 9, 2015, 4:19 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Fredrik Jacobsen

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago Mar 9, 2015, 4:19 p.m. EDT
Hi! I am new to comsol and am struggling with this same question. I have a cantilever beam I want to subject to an impulse load which I am trying to set up with a step function.

I've also completed 2D and 3D stationary studies which match my analytical results, which is nice.

Now I would like to apply the impulse load as a point force at the free beam end, but I do not know how.

Your help would be greatly appreciated!
Hi! I am new to comsol and am struggling with this same question. I have a cantilever beam I want to subject to an impulse load which I am trying to set up with a step function. I've also completed 2D and 3D stationary studies which match my analytical results, which is nice. Now I would like to apply the impulse load as a point force at the free beam end, but I do not know how. Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.