Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problem trying to move heat source.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I wish to model a moving heat source very similar to the 'heating with a moving laser' model in the model library.
However my heat source is a 2D circle on the outside of a 3D block and I am defining a certain heat flux through the circular surface.

I tried to use same method as in the 'heating with a moving laser' example (extruding a mesh and then coupling the 3D temperature variable to the 2D boundary condition).

The program does not give any errors when run but the heat source does not move, it remains stationary heating the one spot.

I have most likely made a litany of errors in defining this model and I would be very grateful if someone could point some of them out to me.

Thank you in advance!

5 Replies Last Post Feb 2, 2011, 9:44 a.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 1, 2011, 10:48 a.m. EST
Probably should have specified I'm using a extrusion coupling variable to couple the variable T. I have it specified under subdomain variables, perhaps it should be specified under boundary variables as the heat flux is on one boundary only?
Probably should have specified I'm using a extrusion coupling variable to couple the variable T. I have it specified under subdomain variables, perhaps it should be specified under boundary variables as the heat flux is on one boundary only?

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 2, 2011, 9:24 a.m. EST
Forgive my vague description I am new to COMSOL and am sturggling to get to grips with it.
If someone knows of a simpler way of getting a heatflux on a boundary to move across another boundary I would really appreciate the help.

Forgive my vague description I am new to COMSOL and am sturggling to get to grips with it. If someone knows of a simpler way of getting a heatflux on a boundary to move across another boundary I would really appreciate the help.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 2, 2011, 9:28 a.m. EST
Hi

there should be an example either in the model library or on the main web site, of a laser source heating (and cutting) a metal slab, try a search

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi there should be an example either in the model library or on the main web site, of a laser source heating (and cutting) a metal slab, try a search -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 2, 2011, 9:38 a.m. EST
Hi Ivar,

I have been trying to work from the inbuilt 'heating with a moving laser model', I presume this is the model you are refering to?

This model couples 1D temperature to 3D, whereas I wish to couple 2D to 3D.
If you know of any other models which might be of use to me I would be grateful if you could let me know.

Hi Ivar, I have been trying to work from the inbuilt 'heating with a moving laser model', I presume this is the model you are refering to? This model couples 1D temperature to 3D, whereas I wish to couple 2D to 3D. If you know of any other models which might be of use to me I would be grateful if you could let me know.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 2, 2011, 9:44 a.m. EST
Hi,

I believe we are talking about the same model then, it should be a good starting point.

Then its to get the 2D to 3D extrusion correct. Start perhaps with a simpler thermal profile until you get the grasp of the extrusion use, it has changed (in the way you define it, not really on the principle) enough to make me hesitate to give you any clues, would have to redo my homework myself first, an 3.5 is getting old for me too ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi, I believe we are talking about the same model then, it should be a good starting point. Then its to get the 2D to 3D extrusion correct. Start perhaps with a simpler thermal profile until you get the grasp of the extrusion use, it has changed (in the way you define it, not really on the principle) enough to make me hesitate to give you any clues, would have to redo my homework myself first, an 3.5 is getting old for me too ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.