Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

dimension problems by importing models from solidworks

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everybody,

I am trying to import a model from SolidWorks into Comsol. My Problem is that the dimensions in Comsol are getting wrong. There is no difference if I import *.STEp, *.STL etc or even use the LiveLink feature.
I hope that anybody knows how to fix this.

Also, when tryin to mesh the imported File I am getting a mesing error in one face of the helix.

Thanks for your help.

3 Replies Last Post Jan 18, 2011, 3:06 p.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 18, 2011, 6:09 a.m. EST
Hi

3.5 is too old for me by now ;) but if it says empty cavity, then check your volumes/domains, it might be that you have some small silver-faces or other misshapes.

For the units I cannot remember, in v4.1 you have the check box use COMSOL or data file units

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi 3.5 is too old for me by now ;) but if it says empty cavity, then check your volumes/domains, it might be that you have some small silver-faces or other misshapes. For the units I cannot remember, in v4.1 you have the check box use COMSOL or data file units -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 18, 2011, 8:53 a.m. EST
Hi and thanks for the quick reply!

Where in v4.1 do you have the check box use COMSOL or data file units?

What exactly do you mean by silver-faces and what can I do about it?

Thanks
matthias
Hi and thanks for the quick reply! Where in v4.1 do you have the check box use COMSOL or data file units? What exactly do you mean by silver-faces and what can I do about it? Thanks matthias

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 18, 2011, 3:06 p.m. EST
Hi

Sorry I mixed v4 and 3.5, I'm not sure there are any import cad units options in 3.5a

silver faces are very thin structure surfaces, often hardly visible withou a high zoom on your geometry, you have the "defeaturing option" of the "CAD section" in COMSOL that helps you analyse your geometry, to search for small features. Just as in SolidWorks by the way. Always be sure you have no "interferences" detected by SolidWorks because that generates mostly unwanted and often numerous small domains that are difficult to mesh and mostly without any importance for your model

For v4.1:
See in the Geoemtry Import main node, check carefully because the logic of COMSOL did not feel natural for me, but once used to it is "correct" (a question of reference), you have the units from COMSOL and FROM CAD and the "scale geometry" (note: all in 3D for "high level fle format parasold etc, They do not exist for 2D dxf import)

you might need the "Preferences - Show more Options" on, I'm not sur, I have them on anyhow, just as for the equations

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Sorry I mixed v4 and 3.5, I'm not sure there are any import cad units options in 3.5a silver faces are very thin structure surfaces, often hardly visible withou a high zoom on your geometry, you have the "defeaturing option" of the "CAD section" in COMSOL that helps you analyse your geometry, to search for small features. Just as in SolidWorks by the way. Always be sure you have no "interferences" detected by SolidWorks because that generates mostly unwanted and often numerous small domains that are difficult to mesh and mostly without any importance for your model For v4.1: See in the Geoemtry Import main node, check carefully because the logic of COMSOL did not feel natural for me, but once used to it is "correct" (a question of reference), you have the units from COMSOL and FROM CAD and the "scale geometry" (note: all in 3D for "high level fle format parasold etc, They do not exist for 2D dxf import) you might need the "Preferences - Show more Options" on, I'm not sur, I have them on anyhow, just as for the equations -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.