Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

32-bit vs 64-bit computer

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am currently working on a pde/ode based simulation and am running into some issues with it running on a 32 bit machine. I am able to run the program I wrote perfectly well on a 64 bit machine. However, as soon as I try on a 32 bit machine, I get out of memory errors even though the program only uses at most 1.7-2.0 and the computers I've tried have 2.5-3.0 in them. Does anyone have any suggestions as to why I can get it to work on other machines (64-bit) but not my computers (32-bit) and what I might do to fix this?

2 Replies Last Post Jan 17, 2011, 1:55 p.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 17, 2011, 9:49 a.m. EST
Hi

probably its the way memory is fragmented versus the requirements of the solver you are using.

One way to skeeze out a litle more RAM is (see the installation notice)
a) to stop all unwanted applications and tasks (particularly on windows)
b) run COSMOL in client - server mode, as then half of the application is shuffled out (at least that worked OK for me in v3.5a, havent tried with v4, as I currently only running on 64 bit PC's

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi probably its the way memory is fragmented versus the requirements of the solver you are using. One way to skeeze out a litle more RAM is (see the installation notice) a) to stop all unwanted applications and tasks (particularly on windows) b) run COSMOL in client - server mode, as then half of the application is shuffled out (at least that worked OK for me in v3.5a, havent tried with v4, as I currently only running on 64 bit PC's -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 17, 2011, 1:55 p.m. EST
Well, I tried using the client server to run the program but continue to get out of memory errors. I'm at a loss.
Well, I tried using the client server to run the program but continue to get out of memory errors. I'm at a loss.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.