Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electromagnetic - Conductive Media DC Model - Particle Tracing 3D

Muthukrishnan Subramaniyan

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to simulate my model and do the particle tracing in the presence of electrical field. I have no issue with the messing and solving my problem. But when it comes to post processing mode, I am not able to simulate the electrical field (Streamline) as it displays like zero potential in the boundary mode and thereby I am not able to do the particle tracing. Comsol is not displaying any error message.

I have given a brief summary of my model below,

Electromagnetic - Conductive Media DC Model - 3D
Anode - Filament (Open at the bottom)
Cathode - spring (Not a closed spring)

Boundary for the above model is also constructed.

I still wounder how comsol works even though the sub domains are open. If comsol works in that case then can someone help me out to trace the error ?

Thank you very much in advance.

Regards,
Muthukrishnan

6 Replies Last Post Jan 11, 2011, 10:03 a.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 11, 2011, 8:40 a.m. EST
Please give me some particle tracing hints or references as well.

Thanks.
Please give me some particle tracing hints or references as well. Thanks.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 11, 2011, 9:01 a.m. EST
Hi,

I think you need to describe your model more precisely or upload the model file. For now I don't understand what your model looks like. What are open subdomains?

Regards
Edgar
Hi, I think you need to describe your model more precisely or upload the model file. For now I don't understand what your model looks like. What are open subdomains? Regards Edgar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 11, 2011, 9:27 a.m. EST
Hello,

I am not able to upload my model due to file size error and I cant zip it and send as well.

I will try to explain in a better way.

I am trying to analyze ionization and particle tracing in 3D .

My model consists of,

1. A coil spring of 9 turns - Anode.
2. A Tungsten wire - Cathode.

they are separated by some distance 'd' , where d can be varied.

I have imported these subdomains from CAD. I have applied some voltage using boundary settings . Followed by Meshing and Solving, I am trying to visualize the electrical field between anode and cathode in the post processing mode using streamlines. and I am looking for particle tracing as well.

Now, in postprocessing - Boundary mode shows ' 0 ' voltage applied, thereby it is not showing the electrical field.

Moreover is it possible to generate the electrical field with this kind of model ?

Thanks in advance.
Hello, I am not able to upload my model due to file size error and I cant zip it and send as well. I will try to explain in a better way. I am trying to analyze ionization and particle tracing in 3D . My model consists of, 1. A coil spring of 9 turns - Anode. 2. A Tungsten wire - Cathode. they are separated by some distance 'd' , where d can be varied. I have imported these subdomains from CAD. I have applied some voltage using boundary settings . Followed by Meshing and Solving, I am trying to visualize the electrical field between anode and cathode in the post processing mode using streamlines. and I am looking for particle tracing as well. Now, in postprocessing - Boundary mode shows ' 0 ' voltage applied, thereby it is not showing the electrical field. Moreover is it possible to generate the electrical field with this kind of model ? Thanks in advance.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 11, 2011, 9:35 a.m. EST
Please skip open sub domains. I am trying to consider the coil spring which is not closed at the ends. Thats it.
Please skip open sub domains. I am trying to consider the coil spring which is not closed at the ends. Thats it.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 11, 2011, 9:41 a.m. EST
Did you place your cathode and anode into some kind of surrounding air or vacuum domain? Can be a sphere around your assembly or a cylinder.
If you want to see the field between the electrodes you must model the space between them as well.
Did you place your cathode and anode into some kind of surrounding air or vacuum domain? Can be a sphere around your assembly or a cylinder. If you want to see the field between the electrodes you must model the space between them as well.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 11, 2011, 10:03 a.m. EST
I have created a cube which surrounds the entire model and positioned in such a way that the model rest in the center of the cube.

The same settings works with two similar cylinders (Anode and cathode) and I am able to visualize the electrical field.
- The one from the model library( Potential between cylinders) works in the same way.

Cheers,
Muthu
I have created a cube which surrounds the entire model and positioned in such a way that the model rest in the center of the cube. The same settings works with two similar cylinders (Anode and cathode) and I am able to visualize the electrical field. - The one from the model library( Potential between cylinders) works in the same way. Cheers, Muthu

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.