Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Error, No eigenvalues found

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi All,

I have a 3D geometry and am trying to obtain eigenfrequencies. It is very simple geometry, I obtained eigenfrequencies for 2D, but I cannot obtain for 3D. Comsol gives me an error, saying that "no eigenvalues found" . This is the first time I've been working on 3D geometries, maybe I am missing something?

Is there anyone who come across this problem before, or has any idea why I get this error?

Thanks in advance,
Elif

4 Replies Last Post Dec 8, 2010, 8:42 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 4, 2010, 7:39 a.m. EST
Hi

that can happen if you have a missing boundary condition, i.e. no fixed or restrained dof (or not sufficient restained dof) often this gives also 1-6 eigenfrequencies around 0Hz depending on the number of restrained Dof

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi that can happen if you have a missing boundary condition, i.e. no fixed or restrained dof (or not sufficient restained dof) often this gives also 1-6 eigenfrequencies around 0Hz depending on the number of restrained Dof -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 4, 2010, 7:54 a.m. EST
Ivar,
I guess this wouldn't lead to the error message. Elif might forget to add a 3-D application (physics) after he'd added his 3-D geometry.

Elif,
may you attach your file. That may help.

Good luck,
Stephan
Ivar, I guess this wouldn't lead to the error message. Elif might forget to add a 3-D application (physics) after he'd added his 3-D geometry. Elif, may you attach your file. That may help. Good luck, Stephan

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 5, 2010, 3:05 a.m. EST
Hi

I agree that there are probably seveal reasons for this error, and that a clean "free-free" 3D body eigenvalue simulation so far has always given me a result with 1-6 frequencies at or around 0Hz. There are so many possible combinations

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I agree that there are probably seveal reasons for this error, and that a clean "free-free" 3D body eigenvalue simulation so far has always given me a result with 1-6 frequencies at or around 0Hz. There are so many possible combinations -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 8, 2010, 8:42 a.m. EST
Thanks very much for the answers. I guess it was boundary related problem, I have changed the boundaries and some other things, now it works.
Thanks very much for the answers. I guess it was boundary related problem, I have changed the boundaries and some other things, now it works.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.