Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Couple two Convection and Diffusion equation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dears COMSOL 4.0a users,

I need to couple two convection and diffusion equation that depend on time. In one of the Convection & Diffusion equation the dependent variable is "S" and in the other Convection & Diffusion equation the time dependent variable is "X". To carry on this I use the "Transport of diluted species" twice (one for "S" and the other one for "X"). On the x-axis I have the reactor's height (H), on the y-axis I have the concentration (S or X). In the equation I have:

*Convection and diffusion (x-velocity and Dispersion coefficient)
*Initial value
*Inflow
*Reaction
*Flux at the reactor entrance: So I "check" Inward Flux for species S or X, and I set up the Flux value. But at the end of the reactors I have a convective flux (reactor is open), how can I set convective Flux in COMSOL 4.0a??? In COMSOL 3.5 there is the option of convective flux but in 4.0a or 4.1 the convective flux does not appears. I assume that if I put a second Flux (Flux 2) and I introduce the reactor's end in the Boundaries but this time I do not "check" the "INWARD FLUX" section, this means that I have a CONVECTIVE FLUX at the end of the reactor??? Is this correct ???

I have a problem with the response, the initial value for S is 10kg/m3 and for X is 12 Kg/m3, at time zero this initial value should be constant, but the COMSOL response tell me that the initial value for S when time = 0 go down (and it should be constant), and the initial value for X when t=0 remains constant (this is O.K.). What could be wrong with my model??

Thanks a lot in advance....

1 Reply Last Post Dec 8, 2010, 8:39 a.m. EST

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 8, 2010, 8:39 a.m. EST
I have encountered the same problem. There is no convective flux option in COMSOL 4.0 and hope someone can help us by answering it.
I have encountered the same problem. There is no convective flux option in COMSOL 4.0 and hope someone can help us by answering it.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.