Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How do I extract the external impedance of a piezo device?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I've simulated a piezoelectric device that is actuated by a boundary load and frequency of 10 Hz. I need to extract the external impedance seen by the disk. How do I go about this? Thanks.

3 Replies Last Post Jan 16, 2021, 6:03 p.m. EST
Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago Jan 15, 2021, 10:47 a.m. EST

Not sure what you mean by "external impedance". Do you mean the source or Thevenin impedance??

Not sure what you mean by "external impedance". Do you mean the source or Thevenin impedance??

Posted: 3 years ago Jan 16, 2021, 1:10 a.m. EST

Hey Dave, I'm not sure either. But the problem statement says "Extract the external impedance that the disk sees and explain the components". So I'm guessing it's the thevenin impedance(?) How do I go about doing this?

>Not sure what you mean by "external impedance". Do you mean the source or Thevenin impedance?? Hey Dave, I'm not sure either. But the problem statement says *"Extract the external impedance that the disk sees and explain the components".* So I'm guessing it's the thevenin impedance(?) How do I go about doing this?

Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago Jan 16, 2021, 6:03 p.m. EST

In the absence of any other information the sentence you quote does not make sense. An impedance external to the piezo disk is...external to it and must be described somewhere else.

You should seek clarification of the problem statement.

In the absence of any other information the sentence you quote does not make sense. An impedance external to the piezo disk is...external to it and must be described somewhere else. You should seek clarification of the problem statement.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.