Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Material and mesh removal

David K Mechanical engineering

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, I'm a mechanical engineering student and I'm developing a computional model to show heat generation and transfer during bone drilling. I'm using MATLAB and COMSOL. Right now I have the heat source in the top of the drill which is moving downwards through a hole in the bone.

I wonder if there is a way to simulate material removal in COMSOL so that material and mesh is being removed under the drill instead of having the hole from the start to make the simulation more accurate.

Picture of the model

Thank you so much in advance!

Kind regards

David K

1 Reply Last Post Jan 5, 2021, 10:09 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello David K

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 3 years ago Jan 5, 2021, 10:09 p.m. EST

Hi David,

You can use "Deformed Geometry" option under Component/Definition. You can prescibe recession rate or material removal rate (in terms of velocity m/s) based on your heat transfer model for the drilling and the COMSOL will simulate the material removal behaviour.

I hope this will help.

Best regards, Rahul Shah.

Hi David, You can use "Deformed Geometry" option under Component/Definition. You can prescibe recession rate or material removal rate (in terms of velocity m/s) based on your heat transfer model for the drilling and the COMSOL will simulate the material removal behaviour. I hope this will help. Best regards, Rahul Shah.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.