Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Graphics not Updating Real-time

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I recently got a new laptop, and the graphics window does not update real-time if I zoom/pan/rotate/build new component. I have to change the size of the window, or minize and reopen the window to update the graphics.

I tried changing the graphics settings as suggested by these pages: https://www.comsol.com/forum/thread/48969/problem-in-refreshing-graphics-window https://www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/933 Neither OpenGL, Direct9X, nor Software option worked for me.

It does not seem to be a hardware limitation. The new laptop has the latest Intel Core i7-1165G7 processor, with integrated Iris Xe graphics card. My old laptop had a Intel Core i7-6500U processor with integrated HD 520 graphics, and the graphics in COMSOL updates fine.

When I monitored the GPU activity in Task Manager, the usage is only ~3% when I move around the graphics on the new laptop, and the usage goes upto 80% if I do the same on my old laptop.

Any possible explaination for what is happening, and how might I resolve this issue?

Thank you!

2 Replies Last Post Dec 16, 2020, 8:58 a.m. EST
Jonas Lejon COMSOL Employee

Posted: 3 years ago Dec 1, 2020, 6:46 a.m. EST

Hi Amelia,

There seems to be an issue with that particular type of computer and the regular .NET GUI in COMSOL Multiphysics. This is the fourth similar report we have seen. Our developers are looking into it.

In the meantime, the workaround is to use the COMSOL Java GUI. To launch the Java GUI, go to the directory called bin/win64 under your COMSOL installation directory, and start the exectutable comsolxpl.exe

Hi Amelia, There seems to be an issue with that particular type of computer and the regular .NET GUI in COMSOL Multiphysics. This is the fourth similar report we have seen. Our developers are looking into it. In the meantime, the workaround is to use the COMSOL Java GUI. To launch the Java GUI, go to the directory called bin/win64 under your COMSOL installation directory, and start the exectutable comsolxpl.exe

Jonas Lejon COMSOL Employee

Posted: 3 years ago Dec 16, 2020, 8:58 a.m. EST
Updated: 3 years ago Dec 16, 2020, 9:51 a.m. EST

Hi Amelia,

I just wanted to let you know that we have managed to locate the issue, and have released a fix for it. The fix, and the instructions on how to apply it, can be found here:

https://www.comsol.com/support/knowledgebase/1285

Hi Amelia, I just wanted to let you know that we have managed to locate the issue, and have released a fix for it. The fix, and the instructions on how to apply it, can be found here:

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.