Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Optimization Module for heat transfer

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

lately I am working on the thermal simulation of a solid material exposed to hot gases to validate some experimental data of around 12000 seconds run time. Inside the solid we measure some local temperatures using 10 thermocouples. Now I am doing a transient simulation, where all know boundaries are defined and based on the thermocouple transient data the heat on the unknown boundary should be calculated. As mentioned I am using 10 thermocouple positions and the data are filtered/smoothed and reduced to 1 measurement/10 seconds, which means one optimization at every 10 simulation seconds. I use the lease-square objective and a local point heat for the control variable, means 10 parameters to optimize. Further I use the Levenberg-Marquardt method. The simulation works so far but it is too slow, even with a course mesh, 4 CPUs and 64 Gb ram available it won't be finished under 24h. With some more refinement even Comsol crashes due to lack of memory. So my question is, is there a way to make things faster? Did I forget to set something else? Since I need to test different meshes and runs several cases and we only have one licence, we can't afford that low speed.

Appreciate any help. Thank you.

Regards

Rahand

2 Replies Last Post Apr 1, 2020, 10:51 a.m. EDT
Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 4 years ago Apr 1, 2020, 4:29 a.m. EDT

Hi,

did you try to use linear discretization instead of the default quadratic?

Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Hi, did you try to use linear discretization instead of the default quadratic? Cheers Edgar

Posted: 4 years ago Apr 1, 2020, 10:51 a.m. EDT

Hey,

thanks for the idea. I just tried out a case with one parameter optimization. For both configurations, linear and quadratic, the simulation time was almost the same.

Hey, thanks for the idea. I just tried out a case with one parameter optimization. For both configurations, linear and quadratic, the simulation time was almost the same.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.