Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Time Dependent Study over Months/Years

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am currently simulating the effects of thermal stress on an underground power cable and I was wondering if anyone would know how I could set the time of the study to be over months/years instead of seconds/minutes? As I want to see the effects over some months/years.

Thanks

1 Reply Last Post Apr 1, 2020, 8:18 a.m. EDT
Lars Dammann COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 years ago Apr 1, 2020, 8:18 a.m. EDT

Hi, you can just set really long times in the time-dependent study, like range(0,6[h],10[d]) will simulate for 10 days in 6 hour intervals, or range(0,10[d],5[y]) will simulate 5 years in 10 day intervals. 1[d] is equal to 86400[s] and 1[a] is equal to 31556952[s]. Please note that a month is not a scientifically accurate unit and is therefore not used in COMSOL.

You can also set the unit at the top of your time-dependent study to "d" or "a" and then just write range(0,1,20) in the text field and it will append the selected unit to those.

Hi, you can just set really long times in the time-dependent study, like range(0,6[h],10[d]) will simulate for 10 days in 6 hour intervals, or range(0,10[d],5[y]) will simulate 5 years in 10 day intervals. 1[d] is equal to 86400[s] and 1[a] is equal to 31556952[s]. Please note that a month is not a scientifically accurate unit and is therefore not used in COMSOL. You can also set the unit at the top of your time-dependent study to "d" or "a" and then just write range(0,1,20) in the text field and it will append the selected unit to those.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.