Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Is there any benefit to nondimensionalize the comsol model ?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Recently, i find that some scholars make all the parameter in their simulation model non-dimensional. What are the benefits of doing this ? Maybe, improving the calculation speed ?

3 Replies Last Post Sep 24, 2019, 11:18 a.m. EDT

Posted: 5 years ago Sep 23, 2019, 11:40 a.m. EDT

The point is not just to make the problem dimensionless. The key is how to choose the constants used for the procedure. In doing so, the purpose is to make the equation system more friendly in terms of condition number.

-------------------
ZHANG, Pu
School of Physics,
Huazhong University of Science and Technology
The point is not just to make the problem dimensionless. The key is how to choose the constants used for the procedure. In doing so, the purpose is to make the equation system more friendly in terms of condition number.

Posted: 5 years ago Sep 24, 2019, 8:57 a.m. EDT

Hello, Zhang Pu. Thank you so much for your kindly help. So, may I draw a conclusion that non-dimensional parameter is more firendly in terms of condition number? I am still puzzled about the mechanism, i.e. how the non-dimensional parameter change the computation process. Could you please give me a brief explanation or recommend me some related papers? Thank you in advance.

>The point is not just to make the problem dimensionless. The key is how to choose the constants used for the procedure. In doing so, the purpose is to make the equation system more friendly in terms of condition number. Hello, Zhang Pu. Thank you so much for your kindly help. So, may I draw a conclusion that non-dimensional parameter is more firendly in terms of condition number? I am still puzzled about the mechanism, i.e. how the non-dimensional parameter change the computation process. Could you please give me a brief explanation or recommend me some related papers? Thank you in advance.

Posted: 5 years ago Sep 24, 2019, 11:18 a.m. EDT

I'm not sure about the mechanism, but the solution can be made much more efficient through tuning the "Scaling" in "Dependent Variables" "Settings", in particular when the problem is relatively complex.

Hope some COMSOL employeee could provide official explanation.

-------------------
ZHANG, Pu
School of Physics,
Huazhong University of Science and Technology
I'm not sure about the mechanism, but the solution can be made much more efficient through tuning the "Scaling" in "Dependent Variables" "Settings", in particular when the problem is relatively complex. Hope some COMSOL employeee could provide official explanation.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.