Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Initializing mesh

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Do I have to initialize the mesh everytime before I solve the problem? It seems that I get different results every time whenever I solve the problem after re-initializing the mesh.

2 Replies Last Post Nov 30, 2009, 8:50 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 23, 2009, 3:32 p.m. EST
Hi

Once you have meshed the geometry, and so long you have not changed it, or gone back to "draw" mode and tested something, the mesh remains (except if you do a File Reset model that clears result and mesh).

You can test if your mesh is there by hitting the view "meshing" (circle with triangles, to the top right border of the window) ifnot it will launch a meshing operation, or by viewing the mesh statistics, or by hitting select remaining "not meshed" and check that nothing is red.

If your results changes by more than 5-10% each time you remesh, it is typically (but not necesarily the only cause) that your mesh is not fine enough in some critical areas, if not ever the full domain.

Hope this helps
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Once you have meshed the geometry, and so long you have not changed it, or gone back to "draw" mode and tested something, the mesh remains (except if you do a File Reset model that clears result and mesh). You can test if your mesh is there by hitting the view "meshing" (circle with triangles, to the top right border of the window) ifnot it will launch a meshing operation, or by viewing the mesh statistics, or by hitting select remaining "not meshed" and check that nothing is red. If your results changes by more than 5-10% each time you remesh, it is typically (but not necesarily the only cause) that your mesh is not fine enough in some critical areas, if not ever the full domain. Hope this helps Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 30, 2009, 8:50 a.m. EST
Hi Ivar,

I am modelling a 5 nm subject. In some areas or along some boundaries, I need to have a maximum mesh step less than 1e-15 nm. However, the minimum value I am able to get now is 6e-15 nm, otherwise it shows an error message like "failed to generate mesh for subdomain...". Do you have any idea on how to solve such problem?

Many thanks in advance!

Dangyuan
Hi Ivar, I am modelling a 5 nm subject. In some areas or along some boundaries, I need to have a maximum mesh step less than 1e-15 nm. However, the minimum value I am able to get now is 6e-15 nm, otherwise it shows an error message like "failed to generate mesh for subdomain...". Do you have any idea on how to solve such problem? Many thanks in advance! Dangyuan

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.