Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

heat transfer

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I have a angle wall only in concrete (thermal conductivity=2), one meter for each side of this wall. The interior temperature in 20°C and the exterior is 0°C. The interior transfer coefficient is h=7.69 and the exterior tranfer coefficient is h=25. The other boundaries are thermal insulation boundaries.

I have not the same heat flux between the interior and the exterior boundaries. Why??!!
And the two heat flux values are also changing with the meshing (the flux on the interior boundary is changing more sensibly than the "exterior flux"), Why??

Whereas I tested the same wall but in plan configuration (one meter of this plan wall) and I have the same flux between these boundaries (no variation with different meshing). So , in the last configuration, it is good.

Thanks for helping me on it.

1 Reply Last Post Nov 23, 2009, 8:40 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 23, 2009, 8:40 a.m. EST
Hi

which version, which application mode? etc.
If you flg your "Subject" line with a [V3.5a-htgh] or something similar in the beginning it's already some more info that can help us to understand the environment, COMSOL is "rich" on different cases, and toolboxes.

Now, heat fluxes as any "gradient are somewhat "mesh dependent" when integrated over boundaries, you can use the "weak constraints" to getter better flux integrations, see the doc (search for weak constraints or "lm1")

And by the way, what are the order of magnitude of the differences ?

Good luck
Ivar
Hi which version, which application mode? etc. If you flg your "Subject" line with a [V3.5a-htgh] or something similar in the beginning it's already some more info that can help us to understand the environment, COMSOL is "rich" on different cases, and toolboxes. Now, heat fluxes as any "gradient are somewhat "mesh dependent" when integrated over boundaries, you can use the "weak constraints" to getter better flux integrations, see the doc (search for weak constraints or "lm1") And by the way, what are the order of magnitude of the differences ? Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.