Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Set initial values for heat transfer module: solid domain surface

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everybody, I am modelling the thermal gradient within a cylinder containing water, which is heated by a solid spherical element in the middle of the cylinder. I am using the heat transfer in fluids interface, where I set the fluid domain as water, and the solid domain as the spherical element. I want to monitor the temperature decrease on the surface of the solid element, and the consequent heating of the water domain, starting from a T=35C for water and T=40C for the solid sphere (no thermal sources/heat fluxes, only initial T). In order to do so, I set the "initial values" for the solid (40C) and water (35C) domains. When plotting the results, I see that the volume temperature of the solid starts from 40C, but on its surface (the one I need to be at 40C) the temperature is much lower (36C). I suppose this is because of the thermal dissipation via conduction within the solid domain, which comsol automatically calculates. Is there a way to set the "initial value" T=40C on the solid outer boundary (surface), or this is possible only for domains? Or maybe to avoid the calculation of the thermal dissipation due to conduction? Any help is really appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Sara

0 Replies Last Post Apr 25, 2018, 8:48 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Sara Tosoni

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.