Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Materials overview stop sign: entities needing a material

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm a new user to COMSOL 5.2 and I'm having trouble assigning materials to my domains. I'm working in the Wave Optics module (ewfd).

My geometry has one spherical domain, and two block domains. All of which have been assigned to a material with its refractive index properly defined.

However, I see the red stop sign on the Materials settings: "Entities needing a material: Domain 4". (See attached photo)

But there I don't thinkI have a Domain 4 in my geometry? When I build, the message box tells me my finalized geometry has 3 domains. I can't seem to find it.

Am I forgetting something or have I set up my geometry incorrectly?

3 Replies Last Post Jul 18, 2018, 11:03 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Clayton Casper

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 6 years ago Jan 7, 2018, 4:49 p.m. EST

Clayton Casper,

I was having this same problem. I even deleted every object except for a single block, but it still said "Entities needing a material: Domains 2-5" even though there was only 1 domain (the block).

I was able to solve the problem by saving the .mph file, closing it, and re-opening it. I suppose during the file-loading process, COMSOL re-evaluates how many domains are present. It is surprising that COMSOL does not do that automatically or at least whenever you click "Build All".

Hopefully this helps you, Clayton Casper.

Cheers, Kent Hallman

Clayton Casper, I was having this same problem. I even deleted every object except for a single block, but it still said "Entities needing a material: Domains 2-5" even though there was only 1 domain (the block). I was able to solve the problem by saving the .mph file, closing it, and re-opening it. I suppose during the file-loading process, COMSOL re-evaluates how many domains are present. It is surprising that COMSOL does not do that automatically or at least whenever you click "Build All". Hopefully this helps you, Clayton Casper. Cheers, Kent Hallman

Posted: 6 years ago Mar 2, 2018, 8:08 a.m. EST
Updated: 6 years ago Mar 2, 2018, 8:10 a.m. EST

Hi Kent,

The old off-and-on-again worked for me and got rid of my dubious "Domain -1", I should try that more often. Thanks!

Joe

Hi Kent, The old off-and-on-again worked for me and got rid of my dubious "Domain -1", I should try that more often. Thanks! Joe

Posted: 6 years ago Jul 18, 2018, 11:03 a.m. EDT

Same here. I have 11 domains and COMSOL complains about domain 12 needing a material.

Solved with the good old off-and-on-again, but I think this needs fixing.

Did not do an exhaustive study, but I suspect it happens when you delete some object from the geometry.

Same here. I have 11 domains and COMSOL complains about domain 12 needing a material. Solved with the good old off-and-on-again, but I think this needs fixing. Did not do an exhaustive study, but I suspect it happens when you delete some object from the geometry.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.