Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

AC/DC and moving mesh for linear motion

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear Comsol users,

I am working on the problem that involves linear relative motion between objects. In particular I am interested to move a permanent magnet above some conducting bar in order to calculate the resulting induced eddy currents distribution. The speed of the magnet in general can be arbitrary and change in time.
I have made a simple 2D “try” model coupling the ALE moving mesh and quasi-static magnetic module but I get problems with inverted mesh elements, even for constant velocities. You can find it attached to this post.

I am not an advanced user of ALE moving mesh module, so I am not sure if I could use it for problems involving linear relative motion.
I have tried the rotational motion (2D generator example) wit identity pairs. It is working fine for this kind of applications.

The final goal is a 3D transient simulation, so I am searching for some elegant solution excluding remeshing if possible.

1 Reply Last Post Nov 1, 2010, 8:09 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Mladen Zec

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 1, 2010, 8:09 a.m. EDT
Hi Mladen

I'm dealing with the exact same problem without any success. did you solve your problem? if so what did you do, I would appreciate if you can help me find out how should I set up the model, by the way I'm working with comsol 3.5 and the file that you've attached is created with version 3.5a so I could'nt open it.

thanks in advance

Azar
Hi Mladen I'm dealing with the exact same problem without any success. did you solve your problem? if so what did you do, I would appreciate if you can help me find out how should I set up the model, by the way I'm working with comsol 3.5 and the file that you've attached is created with version 3.5a so I could'nt open it. thanks in advance Azar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.