Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How do I open a file in V4.0a that was done in V4.0?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello

I have been working on a model (fluid flow/laminar flow) in version 4.0. I just updated to version 4.0a. When I try to open my old models, I get an error saying "Could not obtain license for Batteries and Fuel Cells Module". My model doesn't use any of these modules. I could export the geometry from V4 and import it in V4a, but then I would have to repeat all the other model definitions such as fluid properties, etc. Is this the only alternative? To practically start from scratch?

Thanks!
Sylvana

4 Replies Last Post Sep 17, 2010, 4:58 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 16, 2010, 5:05 p.m. EDT
Hi

most probably you had a demo version with all modules, and linked in some specific physics not in your V4.0a
Or there has been a different split of a specific physics. I suppose only "support" can help you with that
--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi most probably you had a demo version with all modules, and linked in some specific physics not in your V4.0a Or there has been a different split of a specific physics. I suppose only "support" can help you with that -- Good luck Ivar

Daniel Smith COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 17, 2010, 12:02 p.m. EDT
Hi Sylvana, could you either attach the model in this thread or send the model to support@comsol.com?

Thanks,
/ Dan
Hi Sylvana, could you either attach the model in this thread or send the model to support@comsol.com? Thanks, / Dan

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 17, 2010, 3:11 p.m. EDT
Thanks Ivar and Dan

I'll upload the model then.

Sylvana
Thanks Ivar and Dan I'll upload the model then. Sylvana

Daniel Smith COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 17, 2010, 4:58 p.m. EDT
Hi, the model uses the Laminar Inflow boundary condition which is only available if you have one of the following modules available:

MEMS, Heat Transfer, Earth science, CFD, Plasma or Batteries & Fuel cells.

The model was created in v4.0 with the Chemical Engineering module which in v4.0a was split into the CFD and Chemical Reaction Engineering modules. If your Chemical Engineering Module was on subscription you should have got the CFD module as part of the upgrade.

If for some reason you don't have access to any of the above modules you can open the model in v4.0 and change the inlet boundary condition from Laminar Inflow to velocity. Save the model. It should now open in v4.0a without the need for any modules. You will need to specify a new value for the inlet velocity.

/ Dan
Hi, the model uses the Laminar Inflow boundary condition which is only available if you have one of the following modules available: MEMS, Heat Transfer, Earth science, CFD, Plasma or Batteries & Fuel cells. The model was created in v4.0 with the Chemical Engineering module which in v4.0a was split into the CFD and Chemical Reaction Engineering modules. If your Chemical Engineering Module was on subscription you should have got the CFD module as part of the upgrade. If for some reason you don't have access to any of the above modules you can open the model in v4.0 and change the inlet boundary condition from Laminar Inflow to velocity. Save the model. It should now open in v4.0a without the need for any modules. You will need to specify a new value for the inlet velocity. / Dan

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.