Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

ac/dc module & heat transfer module

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I have designed a double spiral micro heater using ac/dc & heat transfer module.I have used aluminium material & this is giving heat of 1300k at 0.2v supply voltage(DC).But i am unable to determine the power consumption of the heater so that am not able to choose the write material for the model.So would you be kind enough to tell me the procedure to calculate the power consumption of the heater.

Thanks
Stitaprangya Dash,India

5 Replies Last Post Feb 11, 2014, 2:23 a.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 10, 2014, 6:34 a.m. EST
Hello,

In wich dimension do tou design your heater? 2d-axy

Do you use Coil domain?

Tell us more

Julien
Hello, In wich dimension do tou design your heater? 2d-axy Do you use Coil domain? Tell us more Julien

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 10, 2014, 7:02 a.m. EST
hello sir,

I have designed the model in 3D, using different rectangle and then making union of those all to form the complete model.sir my query is that, i have to determine the power consume by the model, so that i can make changes accordingly for better result. I have not taken thermal expansion physics for the model.so you kindly direct me how i calculate the power consumption so able to plot graph between power consumption vs. temperature that the heater is heating.

thanks
Stitaprangya Dash.
hello sir, I have designed the model in 3D, using different rectangle and then making union of those all to form the complete model.sir my query is that, i have to determine the power consume by the model, so that i can make changes accordingly for better result. I have not taken thermal expansion physics for the model.so you kindly direct me how i calculate the power consumption so able to plot graph between power consumption vs. temperature that the heater is heating. thanks Stitaprangya Dash.

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 10, 2014, 7:16 a.m. EST
Ok in 3D,
Your study is a frequency domain (AC excitation)? Stationnary(DC)?
do you use a single turn coil domain?
How do you excite the heaters?
Ok in 3D, Your study is a frequency domain (AC excitation)? Stationnary(DC)? do you use a single turn coil domain? How do you excite the heaters?

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 11, 2014, 1:47 a.m. EST
Sir my study is based on stationary(DC) & I have used single turn coil domain.I supplied 0.2v at one of the terminal of the heater and made other terminal ground in ac/dc module .Then in the heat transfer module i added the heat source and temperature physics to the model.The model is running successfully but how will i determine how much power does heater consume.
Sir my study is based on stationary(DC) & I have used single turn coil domain.I supplied 0.2v at one of the terminal of the heater and made other terminal ground in ac/dc module .Then in the heat transfer module i added the heat source and temperature physics to the model.The model is running successfully but how will i determine how much power does heater consume.

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 11, 2014, 2:23 a.m. EST
Hello,

If you use a single turn coil, you can measure the power with a global evaluation

derived values-> global evaluation -> mf -> coil parameters -> coil power

You can check this value with a boundary integration of your heaters
The transfert is done by radiation, you can measure the radiative heat flux over all the boundaries,
Coil power and the sum of radiative heat fluxes must be very close

Julien
Hello, If you use a single turn coil, you can measure the power with a global evaluation derived values-> global evaluation -> mf -> coil parameters -> coil power You can check this value with a boundary integration of your heaters The transfert is done by radiation, you can measure the radiative heat flux over all the boundaries, Coil power and the sum of radiative heat fluxes must be very close Julien

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.